• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

EGT and Soot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamdfingr

Gents, I have a couple of EGT sensors on my front 2 cylinders which don’t seem to be working. I had them working briefly about 4 engine hours ago but then they stopped again.

Am wondering whether the rich idle mixture problems that I had when tuning the throttle body has affected these sensors and that if they soot up, will stop working?

I can’t for the life of me though understand how the soot would affect this though so am thinking I may just need to replace them.

Have you run into this problem before?

There’s pretty simple little things so I wouldn’t expect failure to occur just from turning them black...

Soot shouldn't affect them at all, it's all about temps alone. I'd recheck the wiring. Before start up any EGTs and CHTs and even oil temp can all be checked against each other and expected to be relatively the same as a first indication. You might try heating them carefully off the airplane and see if you get a rise. My experience with them on Lycomings are that they are good for about 500 hrs. I don't think there would be any value in swapping front to back and back to front...If wiring is good, I think I would replace them.

Kevin

Well that’s the thing... I got the plane, fired it up and they weren’t working. Swapped the wires around on the probes and they magically came to life.... happy days.... but then after that first hour of running, they died again so not sure what’s going on....

Will recheck wiring again but can’t work out what might have changed....

Back