• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Electric start starter problems or issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMartin

I was looking at Great Plains Aircraft engines and came across the electric start package.
I see they are using a 1.4KW Nippon Denso style automotive starter.
Anyone having any issues with this starter? Clutch wearing out, plunger and contacts, under powered, brushes and so on?
I would be interested in knowing if anyone has problems with it.

If you are wondering why it's because I make a living taking automotive starters and flip them to fit Harley Davidson with large displacement and compression engines.

Thanks

Attachments

• 0305-1.jpg
    0305-1.jpg
    869.2 KB · Views: 77
I’ve had the Great Plains/Diehl set up on my airplane since 2007, and have had no issues with the starter. The engine is a mostly Great Plains 2180 with 8:1 compression. I use an Odyssey PC545 battery mounted next to the rear seat, and have never had an issue turning the engine over, even when the OAT has been 20 degrees F.

I bought a starter from Great Plains a few years ago and need to get a new one. I think it's the cause of my starting woes. I haven't taken it off yet to look at it..., does anyone know what starter I can get from an auto parts store that'd work??? Tight area so it might have to be the same make/model... Thanks!

Back