• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Elt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...but if you still want to know, an ACK 406 from Wag-Aero. It's in the tail, where I need the weight anyway.

Ed
2LS

Thank you for the info. I was uncertain if I needed one. My plane is almost reDy for the DAR inspection and I wanted to make sure
Can people give me pointers on what is required for the DAR inspection? The plane is already registered as an experimental so I assume that I won't need to prove that it is home built?
I know I need weight and ballance and poh. What else?

Give it a basic inspection before he comes, make sure all the bolts are in place, the controls move freely, all the switches and gauges are labeled. In addition to the W&B and POH have your builder's log and plans available, although my DAR never looked at them. He didn't ask me to run the engine either.

Did you build it? Proving that you made 51% is necessary for the repairman's certificate but not for the airworthiness inspection.

Good luck,
Ed

I did not build the plane. It had flown 10 hours and the owner was scared to death of it so he sold it and deregistered it.we obtained the original N number and put it back together. It's perfect only thing we changed was the carb. I have heard if you can provide proof enough of the vessel and knowledge of it's construction they will still provide you with repairman certificate? I have the build pictures but they are on a floppy disc. Lol

To my knowledge the only guy who can get the repairman's certificate is the guy who actually built it.

If you did not build the airplane you are not eligible to obtain a Repairman's Cerfificate, period. Regardless of your knowledge of the airplane.

But you have bigger issues to contend with than the Repairman's Certificate. Putting an N number on the plane does not make it legal to fly. You need an Airworthiness Certificate. Do you have one? Do you have logbooks from when it was flown? Do you have aircraft logs that show that an Airworthiness Certificate was previously issued? That would be a lot of help. Do you have current weight and balance, signed and dated? Once you have all the above you will have to get an A&P (not an IA) to do an annual condition inspection.

Keep your floppy discs because if you don't have an airworthiness certificate you will have to prove to a DAR that the plane was in fact amateur built regardless of who built it. You will be signing a statement that it was amateur built.

Right now it sounds to me that regardless of what documentation you have, you need to contact a local DAR.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I did know that an n number was not all that's required. I do have past logs and history. I am at the point of needing a far. I was wanting to know what all information that the far will require for an airworthiness certificate. I do understand the process. I was just wondering if I missed something? I believe you have touched on all that though.
Thanks,

Razor,

Your local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) should be able to provide you with a list of local DARs. You can google the local FSDO phone numbers (of course). Also, a local EAA chapter will have a name or two.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Best Wishes,
Kevin

Back