• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

emergency locator transmitter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mytonic

Does anyone know the requirements for an ELT on a new 2LS. If I read the most current FAA rules, a 406-MHz is required? Also a remote switch?

ELTs & Homebuilt Aircraft

Do I need an Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) in my homebuilt?

Yes, if you are building an airplane that has more than one seat, you will be required to have an ELT. The regulation that pertains to ELT's is 14 CFR 91.207. This section applies to all US registered civil airplanes, whether they are standard or experimental category.

The specific paragraph in 91.207 that applies to homebuilt aircraft reads as follows:

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (e) and (f) of this section, no person may operate a U.S.-registered civil airplane unless --

(2) For operations other than those specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section, there must be attached to the airplane an approved personal type or an approved automatic type emergency locator transmitter that is in operable condition, except that after June 21, 1995, an emergency locator transmitter that meets the requirements of TSO-C91 may not be used for new installations.

Paragraph (a)(1) of 91.207 talks about charter and air carrier operations, and does not apply to the operation of homebuilt aircraft.

Single seat airplanes are exempt from the requirement for an ELT. This exemption is found in 91.207(f)(9), the pertinent part of which is quoted here:

"(f) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to --

(9) Aircraft equipped to carry not more than one person."

Thus, a single-seat airplane is not required to have an ELT installed, regardless of certification category.

Note that this regulation speaks specifically to “airplanes”, which the FAA defines as:

“…an engine-driven fixed-wing aircraft heavier than air, that is supported in flight by the dynamic reaction of the air against its wings.”

This being the case, homebuilts other than airplanes (i.e., helicopters, gyroplanes, balloons, gliders, airships, trikes, powered parachutes, etc.) do not require an ELT under this regulation.

There is no mandate I am aware of that you must have a 406 ELT I installed my 121.5 ELT in 2014 in my new installation.

Pttim said:
(2) For operations other than those specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section, there must be attached to the airplane an approved personal type or an approved automatic type emergency locator transmitter that is in operable condition, except that after June 21, 1995, an emergency locator transmitter that meets the requirements of TSO-C91 may not be used for new installations.

I have a PLB, registered with NOAA (approved), attached to my airplane with velcro ----Done!

Thanks, I have read these articles and several others,it was item 2, except that after June 21, 1995, an emergency locator transmitter that meets the requirements of TSO-C91 may not be used for new installations, that I questioned

A remote switch is only required if it cannot be reached easily , mine is to the right of the pilot seat on floor board.

My ELT is to the left of the seat. Since low empty weight is so important adding a remote switch cannot be justified., My SII LS with the Jabiru 2200 engine weighed 529 lbs. Thus it's usable load exceeded its empty weight. Bil438

Guys,
The FAA regulation above has exemptions listed to the requirements section as well a list of 406MHZ PLB's that can be used in lieu of an ELT if you fly solo, or are engaging in operations pertaining to exemptions 3,4,8 and 9 above. (There is no requirement for the ELT to transmit 406MHZ in the U.S. but satellites no longer monitor 121.5. However, nearly every airliner inflight does)

I removed and sold Scott's (now extinct) AK 406MHZ ELT in 994SP in lieu of a NOAA/FAA approved PLB and shaved 6lbs off the EW. Another nice feature of the PLB is portability in case of forced landing, hiking trips, etc.

Exemptions: ( Arguably, 3, 4, 8 and 9 regularly apply to Sonerai operations)
Aircraft while engaged in training operations conducted entirely within a 50-nautical mile radius of the airport from which such local flight operations began;
Aircraft while engaged in flight operations incident to design and testing
Aircraft while used for showing compliance with regulations, crew training, exhibition, air racing, or market surveys;
Aircraft equipped to carry not more than one person.

V/R
Smokey

https://iflyamerica.org/plb.asp
PLB/ELT article

What make of PLB is most popular or best deal, I assume that a PLB has an annual fee or subscription thanks Wayne

Thanks for the responses, for the Sonerai a PLB would work for me. I would also use it when venturing out on lake Huron and Michigan, at times I'm 15 miles out and fishing alone. a PLB would be nice to have along plus cost and weigh less than a ELT. John

Per the seller - the batteries are not rechargeable and must be replaced by a service center. The batteries are apparently expensive. Not sure how this would compare against a subscription based PLB. It is a use once and service type of device.

I bought the Spot Gen3. The basic subscription is $20 per month or $200 per year.

I like the ability to leave breadcrumbs and send pre-selected messages. There is also the option to request assistance without mobilizing the big dogs.

Chucker

I looked a the satellite messengers. And, I decided I didn’t want the bells and whistles, or the subscription fees.

The PLB I have fills the requirement and costs less than 2 years suscription for the Spot 3. The battery is rated for six years, unless used, according to the manufacturer.

I think the PLB is a great option. However, the tracking and messaging features of the Spot keep the home front happier...which is worth the coin to me. This is definitely not a one-size-fits-all equipment question.

All the best,
Chucker

Back