• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Empennage/longeron fitment question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckaroo

Drawing says the top two 5/8" longerons are supposed to be tacked on tangent to the vertical stab trailing edge spar, then trimmed.
However:
The top view of the whole fuse is drawn with the longerons conincident on the v. stab spar/tube, not tangent.
The top view in the empennage section also shows them coincident, not tangent.
if one follows the plans strictly and tacks them tangent, this puts the innermost horizontal stab ribs too close together and inside the fuse(actually under/intersecting the longeron and other parts)
if they are welded coincident to the v stab spar, everything fits, with an acceptable 5/16 gap between the fuse and the h. stab's innermost rib.

But I see most people put them on tangent. Any guidance? Am I missing something here?

Fred, one more quick question for you(or anyone):

Why are pop rivets used to attach the ribs to the reinforcements? There is enough room to put in solid aluminum ones. I can't imagine there's so much shear on the rib that the steel is needed.

There is no reason why you can’t use bucked AD rivets. In shear, the stainless cherry rivet and the solid aluminum AD rivet have essentially the same strength. If you want, you can use 1/8” AD rivets in the wing skins. The cherry N rivets are just easier to install.

Back