• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Engine mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

964SS

What would I do if I had to do it again (buy a project) Make sure the engine mounts match the case! (Hapi mounts on plane, Diehl case on engine) Looks like the first flight date will be pushed back from spring 2014 to fall.

I would be very careful on firewall mounting holes. The II/IIL plans show the X-casting dimensions. The accessory case with a starter will be very hard to find. I used this size and was told by Diehl they were not making theses any more. Plus this size places one of the bolts right to the start of the oil sump and I had to file the case for clearance.
I thought I had would be to use the standard Diehl/Revmaster patterned accessory case, which was alot cheaper than the X-casting one at the time. Then use the X-casting flywheel puck and mag drive. The case can be drilled with lightening holes. It will be just a bit heavier than the X-casting but allow you to make an easy upgrade down the road if you wanted to add a starter

Scott R

My problem is. I have for my Sonerai 1 An engine mount made to fit V W 1600 crankcase/ fuselage
I have now bought a V W 1834 engine complete with a Diehl mount on the crank case. with a engine mount from a K R 2 .If I could cut the two mounts in half and make one out of the two they would fit ,but i need to make a new one!
I have my Sonerai 1 plans and Fred,s C Ds .Where would I fine a engine mount drawing for a Sonera1 to a Diehl mount /fuselage
Thank you.
Steve.

Thanks for the offer Wayne, I really appreciate it. I was just posting lessons learned/what I would do different. It is getting difficult to find accessory cases in the IIL plan dimensions.

Stepo! I have never seen the S I plans. You might want to post something on the Sonerai I section. Of course most will still be able to read it here.

Scott R

I'll be swapping out this spring. I've got the HAPI E-LECTRO-X X-case on my 1835cc. The Syncho alternator is shelled out and not replaceable, so I'll be converting to a Diehl case with alternator and starter in May when the condition inspection is due. Not really thrilled about cutting up and reselling the firewall frame, but I need a starter and especially an alternator.

I'm going to pull the engine, take the X-case off, bolt it to the frame, build a "template" that bolts to the engine mounts and the firewall frame, take it off and bolt the Diehl to the template, attach the template to the firewall frame so I know where the new mounts need to be and what spacers I need.

I had the HAPI frame - Diehl case mismatch as well. Luckily, before I cut my fuselage, I found an engine with a HAPI case. I bought the engine just to get the accessory case. The case is not an X-casting...but a full case with a 6 o'clock starter mount. The alternator, like most of that vintage, was trashed. The stator is still good if anyone needs it. I would rather have found the lighter HAPI x-casting as I do not plan to use a starter or alternator....but at least I can now hang my engine. The only modification necessary was moving the magneto clamp points from the 3 and 9 position to the 12 and 6 to accommodate my Bendix magneto.

As for lightening holes....does anyone have a good idea of what can safely be carved away and how much weight can be removed? As I see it, most of the engine stress is between the engine mounting bolts and the case mounting bolts. The remainder of the case is simply supporting the magneto. However, the magneto is not light and the center of gravity is a few inches away from the mount.

Back