• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Engine out data points

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chucker

Supporting Member
Been dying to ask these questions since the beginning....

Does anyone have data points for an engine failure? The questions I have are:

1. At what speed will the prop stop turning?
2. At what speed will the prop start turning again?
3. How much altitude does it take to get from one to the other?

Perhaps the following additional data would be useful:

4. What displacement engine?
5. What compression ration?
6. What prop diameter and pitch?

I'm not asking for true confessions. However, it would be nice to know the source of your data (personal experience, direct from the source, or hearsay).

Thanks,

Chucker

7. Does your engine have a starter installed.

giphy.gif

I have a 8:1 compression ratio 2276cc in my Sonerai. It has a starter. Way back when I took it up cruising about 135 mph clicked off the ignition and kept the speed at 135 with pitch. Took a few seconds but the prop stopped. Probably windmilled less that 20 seconds, continually slowing the whole time. I doubt with the short lightweight wood prop that you could get it turning fast enough to call it windmilling. When I did it the engine would slowly roll through compression on one cylinder and then blip to the next cylinder on compression. At that time I had a Sterba prop on it that i think was a 54-52, but it may have been when I had it repitched to 54-50.

Back