• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Engine Weight: VW versus Jabiru

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chucker

Supporting Member
We all know that the aluminum VW engine case is about 24 pounds heavier than the magnesium case. The Jabiru uses the heavier aluminum. They both use iron barrels and aluminum heads. So why is a full-up Jabiru engine 25 pounds lighter than a similarly equipped VW? Where do they save 25 pounds of weight and how do they make up for an engine case made of heavier material than the V-dub? I'm baffled.

What case are you referring to, cause my modded wasser aluminum case (factory vw alum case) is 12 lbs more than a universal mexican case

Maybe I'm mistaken about the details....but the aluminum case is definitely heavier. I've never had the chance to weigh one.

I just don't get why the Jabiru is so much lighter when the design and materials are so similar and they pay a penalty for an aluminum case.

Oh it’s definitely heavier, for sure. Unknown as to how jabiru does it

That explains it. I heard from a Jabiru owner that they were not aluminum. After your post I did a search and confirmed what you said. I still wonder how they make up for the heavier case material.

I found out some of the early Jabirus had iron cylinders. I wonder if their newer claimed weight with aluminum cylinders was being applied to the older models with iron? You know how it is with airplane stuff - sometimes the weights are measured at the sales brochure or web page. Just saying... LOL

Back when Great Plains sold nikasil cylinders they advertised a 10-lb weight reduction over iron. If that's true then the remaining difference with the Jab is 15 pounds and I'd almost bet a big chunk of it is in the crankshaft. Not sure how Revmaster or Aerovee stack up but my GP crank is a behemoth. With modern design tools like FEA Jabiru probably figured out how to make it lighter. That's my guess anyway.

Ed

Back