• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fabric top coat paint

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bil4381

In the same flight I had a close look at a Seneca. My S2 is cream with blue. Hard to see.
Also at 160 kts the right side fuselage tapes came off. Heard bits flapping.
How fast is too fast? When the fabric comes off...
So I'll recover now, Not decided what. My friend has ceconite on hand so maybe that.
I want the flexible paint as I hate fish eyes in enamels.
But I think I'd like to be visible, maybe bright red or orange or some sore of dayglow florescent red/orange. What sort of paints have those colour and are flexible? What have you guys had the best success with?
Bill
Ps looks like I have the engine and aeroinjector stuff dialed in. My S2 (as always) is fairly breathtaking to fly. I like it best above 150 kts. EG at 3300 rpm in level flight airspeed says 180 kts.

I like the PolyFiber system. They have everything you need and its all designed to work together.

I believe 160mph is VNE. If you're doing more than 140mph straight and level, you're doing better than me.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/bvpages/polyfiberCover.php

09-06000.jpg

The speed is most;ly about 2 things the Jabiru 3300 six cylinder engine and the Jabiru hoop pine prop that allows me to get to 3300 RPM and this 160 kts or 180 some days.
The Hoerner wing tips are supposed to deflect wing tip vortices out beyond the wing, thus they improve top airspeed some or so they claim.
It might burn 34 liters per hour during those runs.
Bill

The speed is most;ly about 2 things the Jabiru 3300 six cylinder engine and the Jabiru hoop pine prop that allows me to get to 3300 RPM and this 160 kts or 180 some days.
The Hoerner wing tips are supposed to deflect wing tip vortices out beyond the wing, thus they improve top airspeed some or so they claim.
It might burn 34 liters per hour during those runs.

Interesting. Based on the old rule of thumb guesstimate for fuel cooled engine "1/2 lb/HP * Hr" you're in the ballpark 34 liters = 35.93qts = 54lbs avgas (or 57lbs mogas) x 2 = roughly 108 HP while Jabiru lists 107 HP continuous limit (75%). However, Jabiru lists actual 24 liters/hr consumption at 75%, presumably efficient operation without excessive fuel cooling effect. Jabiru also lists 3300 rpm/120HP "intermittant" full power.

That's Impressive testimony for the engine if you are not seeing problems.
& a lot of extra fuel :eek:

How many hours on the engine?
Do you run primarily Avgas or mogas?

Did you fab the Hoerner tips or who is the source?

Thanks!
smt

The engine might have 100 hours. The cylinders are all very tight. It's an effort to pull it through and I weigh 240.
My Jab dealer says 21 liters per hour at 75% but that was with the Bing carb with the economize jets. I am running an Aeroinjector, tuned for the J3300. At 3300 rpm I'm seeing 1370 F EGT. So I don't stay there long. I am mostly running AVgas or mogas with the octane booster. At EGT= 1370F I think it's going to be AVGAS.

As I wrote last time the tapes came off, so It's time to recover. I'd like to be seen, as the white with light blue is almost invisible. The new fabric will be from the randolph system as will the dopes. I'm thinking of bright red or orange. Randolphs chart shows 11 shades or red/orange. So gents what is most visible???
BilE

I enlarged the fuselage drawings to enable entering fabric sheet sizes for my S2 LS. I plan to recover the fuselage and empennage and paint it all in Cessna orange.
If anyone wants copies just reply with your email. Bill E

The engine might have 100 hours. The cylinders are all very tight. It's an effort to pull it through and I weigh 240.
My Jab dealer says 21 liters per hour at 75% but that was with the Bing carb with the economize jets. I am running an Aeroinjector, tuned for the J3300. At 3300 rpm I'm seeing 1370 F EGT. So I don't stay there long. I am mostly running AVgas or mogas with the octane booster. At EGT= 1370F I think it's going to be AVGAS.

As I wrote last time the tapes came off, so It's time to recover. I'd like to be seen, as the white with light blue is almost invisible. The new fabric will be from the randolph system as will the dopes. I'm thinking of bright red or orange. Randolphs chart shows 11 shades or red/orange. So gents what is most visible???
BilE

BilE

What is most visible? I find it easiest to maintain visual separation from other aircraft in colors that contrast with both the sky and the ground. Cub Yellow is easiest for me but Cessna Orange should be good too.

Bill - which model of Aeroinjector do you have on your J3300 and which needle are you using? I think the Aeroinjector on our J3300 might be too large (it was intended for a larger capacity engine than the J3300) and needs to run with the mixture about half way to idle cut-off. The engine runs well and EGT and CHT are all within Jabiru limits. Cruise above 160 knots (real) in the S1L is achieved at 3000 rpm with a 3 blade Bolly prop. Apologies if this was an off-topic question. Harry A

I spoke to the guy at Sonex who chooses and sets up the Aeroinjectors. I went with the Jetting he suggested for the Jabiru 3300. Once or twice I got 3300 RPM which equals 127 hp in level flight after say 3 minutes WOT. Then I went to a different facet pump but it flooded so now I takeoff with the pump off and should I want to "race" then I might switch the pump on. The current pump is 4 psi. Last time up I got 3200 rpm & 160 mph. (man it's nice to fly at 160.)
It also idles between 400-600 rpm.
I discovered that if you taxi in and shutdown by switching off mixture or Fuel Selector, then you introduce air into the fuel system. So I idle, throttle idle, mags off, fuel off.
BillE

Bill - which model of Aeroinjector do you have on your J3300 and which needle are you using? I think the Aeroinjector on our J3300 might be too large (it was intended for a larger capacity engine than the J3300) and needs to run with the mixture about half way to idle cut-off. The engine runs well and EGT and CHT are all within Jabiru limits. Cruise above 160 knots (real) in the S1L is achieved at 3000 rpm with a 3 blade Bolly prop. Apologies if this was an off-topic question. Harry A

I.m using ceconite with Stweart glue and UV blocker cause they are non-toxic. Has anyone used Poly-Fiber or randolph primer or paint with Steward UV Blocker.
A gal of Stewart paint costs circa $600 here.
Bill E

I've worked every day this week to install new fabric on the fuselage. Using the Stewart glue and UV blocker. Fabric is ceconite.
It looks like this today.

You can download all these for free 8)

https://www.conaircraft.com/download-manuals
I spoke to the guy at Sonex who chooses and sets up the Aeroinjectors. I went with the Jetting he suggested for the Jabiru 3300. Once or twice I got 3300 RPM which equals 127 hp in level flight after say 3 minutes WOT. Then I went to a different facet pump but it flooded so now I takeoff with the pump off and should I want to "race" then I might switch the pump on. The current pump is 4 psi. Last time up I got 3200 rpm & 160 mph. (man it's nice to fly at 160.)
I discovered that if you taxi in and shutdown by switching off mixture or Fuel Selector, then you introduce air into the fuel system. So I idle, throttle idle, mags off, fuel off.
BillE

Attachments

• 20191021_164814.jpg
    20191021_164814.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 148
BillE
Thanks for info Bill - I will call the guy at Sonex.

Has anyone tried using vinyl to cover their Sonerai? What would it cost?
Bill E

Back