• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fast Taxiing questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navymatt44

So taxiing is a little sketchy. Does it get better once the tailwheel is off the ground and can you send it down the runway without accidentally taking off?

I don't think it's sketchy at all. The airplane is much more responsive than, for example, a Cessna in all phases of flight but once accustomed to it it's all fun, no fright. Biggest thing is remembering to use the LEFT foot when starting down the runway.

Ed
2LS

What type/size wheel and tire are you using? What tire pressure are you running? Has alignment been verified? Is tailwheel direct connected or are you using springs?

If taxiing feels sketchy, sending it down the runway ain't gonna make it feel any better. Torque, gyroscopic effect (as the tail comes up), and spiral slipstream are all gonna gang up on you and rock your world if you haven't yet mastered rudder pedals at taxi speeds. And, you will end up with a runway excursion and an expensive lesson.

Take your time and practice slow taxi until its no longer "sketchy".

What type/size wheel and tire are you using? What tire pressure are you running? Has alignment been verified? Is tailwheel direct connected or are you using springs?
Front tires are 5.00-5, rear is a solid 4". Not sure on air pressure I just pit enough in so they were hard. I also have the wings off currently. Solid mount tailwheel to rudder. Just seems like it's a constant back forth with the rudder Pedals and feels like it wants to 360 on me. Once the tailwheel is off the ground and the rudder is catching enough air does the 360 loop feeling go away?

Front tires are 5.00-5, rear is a solid 4". Not sure on air pressure I just pit enough in so they were hard. I also have the wings off currently. Solid mount tailwheel to rudder. Just seems like it's a constant back forth with the rudder Pedals and feels like it wants to 360 on me. Once the tailwheel is off the ground and the rudder is catching enough air does the 360 loop feeling go away?
THE Sonerai mail wheels are set at 3 degrees toe in. Even so my airport has a crowned runway and the aircraft does want to hunt. I apply more pressure to both pedals at the same time and use blocks on the rudder pedals to keep my toes off the brakes unless I'm stopping.
The drill I use is to start at 5 mph down the centerline, first hold C/l within an inch, then "tap" one pedal and bring it back to C/L. Once each speed is mastered increase taxi speed by 5mph. This is all part throttle work.
The limit I found to be say 35mph and at that speed it's dicey. The risks of taxi at 40 mph and above are as great as a takeoff, so if you get to 40 you fly.
BillE

Don't over inflate the tires - they should not be "hard" - try 16psi. Taxi and see if there is a difference. If you still don't like the feel then check your main wheel alignment. Also check that the tread is even across the tires. If the "solid mount" is a direct link to the tail wheel (not chains) it will change the tailwheel direction precisely and immediately to your every input. Chains are more forgiving but better to learn how to control the direct link if possible.

THE Sonerai mail wheels are set at 3 degrees toe in. Even so my airport has a crowned runway and the aircraft does want to hunt. I apply more pressure to both pedals at the same time and use blocks on the rudder pedals to keep my toes off the brakes unless I'm stopping.
The drill I use is to start at 5 mph down the centerline, first hold C/l within an inch, then "tap" one pedal and bring it back to C/L. Once each speed is mastered increase taxi speed by 5mph. This is all part throttle work.
The limit I found to be say 35mph and at that speed it's dicey. The risks of taxi at 40 mph and above are as great as a takeoff, so if you get to 40 you fly.
BillE
I was wondering what point taxiing turned to flying 🤣 thanks!

I agree wholeheartedly with Matt on tire pressures. When preparing for my first flight, I had tire pressures WAY too high and ran into a problem (ground loop and failed wheel flange) after repair, alignment verification and lower tire pressure, the plane handled just fine. I tried as low as 12 psi and found the tires/tubes would creep on my wheels and eventually cut the valve stem (that happened on taxi back to the hangar thankfully) and kept increasing tire pressure until it became my version of sketchy. I ultimately wound up settling on 18-20 psi for my comfort level.

Good luck, be safe, and keep flying!

I was wondering what point taxiing turned to flying 🤣 thanks!
Mine weighs say 589 lbs with the Jabiru 3300 engine. Also I have a 5" tailwheel (od 8") the same size as the Maule, but the metal parts are all aluminum. It takes a longer takeoff run. As I recall it lifts off circa 65 mph. At 70 mph it climbs out at 1600 fpm, but I don't like what that does to the engine. I climb out at say 90 mph and maybe 400 fpm. Bill

Back