• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

First Flight 9 Oct 2020!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JondorB1

Well after 20 years of work on my Sonerai 2LS, I flew it for the first time Friday 9, Oct. The half hour flight was quite a rush but thanks to the previous postings describing Sonerai handling qualities, I was fairly prepared. The plane is very responsive but it reacts positively to your inputs. On takeoff, I lifted the tail at 45mph and accelerated to about 60mph when I lifted off. I probably should have held it on the ground until 65mph but the plane accelerated and climbed well. I checked the stick forces, some back pressure needed as I expected since I was at the forward edge of the CG envelope. Engine temps were all good, oil temp not getting over 180deg F (OAT about 45deg F). I flew a large lap around the airfield and then set up for the 1st approach just to get a feel for the plane close to the ground. I came around for the 2nd approach about 85mph on final and let the plane sink to the runway. Since I didn't bounce I figured I might as well keep it on the deck and applied rudder to keep it straight. Overall it was a great experience! I want to thank Fred Keip for the countless phone calls and questions he answered over the years, not to mention the motivation he provided. I built the Great Plains 2276cc engine, they provided great support. I'm also very thankful for this website and the posts all of you have provided, it helped me finish the plane and fly with a good idea of what I could expect. Jon

Attachments

• IMG_4492 (4)_Moment.jpg
    IMG_4492 (4)_Moment.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 156
  • After Flight Pic.jpeg
    After Flight Pic.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 164
Ed, Thank you! I've appreciated your posts over the years.

Good job Jon. Nice looking plane. Any pics of when you took delivery of the plane? I assume you were working that whole 20 years?

Well after 20 years of work on my Sonerai 2LS, I flew it for the first time Friday 9, Oct. The half hour flight was quite a rush but thanks to the previous postings describing Sonerai handling qualities, I was fairly prepared. The plane is very responsive but it reacts positively to your inputs. On takeoff, I lifted the tail at 45mph and accelerated to about 60mph when I lifted off. I probably should have held it on the ground until 65mph but the plane accelerated and climbed well. I checked the stick forces, some back pressure needed as I expected since I was at the forward edge of the CG envelope. Engine temps were all good, oil temp not getting over 180deg F (OAT about 45deg F). I flew a large lap around the airfield and then set up for the 1st approach just to get a feel for the plane close to the ground. I came around for the 2nd approach about 85mph on final and let the plane sink to the runway. Since I didn't bounce I figured I might as well keep it on the deck and applied rudder to keep it straight. Overall it was a great experience! I want to thank Fred Keip for the countless phone calls and questions he answered over the years, not to mention the motivation he provided. I built the Great Plains 2276cc engine, they provided great support. I'm also very thankful for this website and the posts all of you have provided, it helped me finish the plane and fly with a good idea of what I could expect. Jon
Great looking bird! Congrats! Im still trying to find a dar to inspect mine then ill be joining you.

Your achievement is amazing. Sticking to the build for 20 years. May you have at least 20 years of happy flying. Bill

Thanks Chucker!
Great looking bird! Congrats! I'm still trying to find a dar to inspect mine then ill be joining you.
Scott, thank you. I tried to get the FAA to inspect the plane but after a few months of bugging them, they finally said they didn't have the time. The nearest DAR was 2 hours away but the inspection went well; cost some money of course! Now I've got to fly off 40 hours in a relatively small area.

Thaddeus,
Thank you. At some point I'll post more pictures of the build. The picture above was taken many years ago and was the only one I was able to post at the time; I'll try again to post more. While there were a few frustrating moments, I really enjoyed the build. Flying is of course, the big pay-off! Jon

Killer. Can hardly wait to get started myself. Just bought plans. I'm in the planning and learning phase right now. You guys out ahead of those of us who are ramping up are an inspiration

Back