• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

First Flight Sonerai 2LS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mytonic

I flew my Sonerai 2LS for its first flight after the FAA determined it was airworthy, they were right. The controls were very responsive as expected just think about moving them and the plane responds. Flew around getting a feel for the coordination in turns and slow flight, slowed down to 60 in straight and level flight. Plane was handling great but further testing was cut short when I smelled something burning, It smelled like a transformer getting to hot so I thought it might be the Voltage regulator. The original plan was to fly some approaches before landing but now I was determined to land on the first attempt. 70 over the threshold, elevator still very responsive , I flared a little high but the plane set down nicely on the grass. The grass is a little rough, its not normally used as a runway but there are a few guys starting to. Well now back to work on the plane, it was the GP voltage regulator that melted and blew the melted material around the front of the cockpit fortunately the breaker blew. IT was a new GP 35amp Alt and regulator, it had 4 hrs of engine test running on it and seemed to be working ok. Has anyone had any problems with a GP 35 amp alt? Seems like the regulator couldn't handle the 35amp alt. I estimate I am drawing about 6 amps with everything on.

Thanks John

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20200504-094153 (1).jpg
    VideoCapture_20200504-094153 (1).jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 122
Congrats on the successful test flight. FWIW I use a Denso 45A alternator, belt driven. Comes out of a denso forklift. Never had an issue. I have C/B's for both the 45A output and 5A for the Field. So that's 2 ways to shut it off should the need ever arise.
Also FWIW I run my exhaust stacks downwards, so that in uncoordinated flight the exhaust does not enter the cockpit. Makes a big difference.
Bill E

I flew my Sonerai 2LS for its first flight after the FAA determined it was airworthy, they were right. The controls were very responsive as expected just think about moving them and the plane responds. Flew around getting a feel for the coordination in turns and slow flight, slowed down to 60 in straight and level flight. Plane was handling great but further testing was cut short when I smelled something burning, It smelled like a transformer getting to hot so I thought it might be the Voltage regulator. The original plan was to fly some approaches before landing but now I was determined to land on the first attempt. 70 over the threshold, elevator still very responsive , I flared a little high but the plane set down nicely on the grass. The grass is a little rough, its not normally used as a runway but there are a few guys starting to. Well now back to work on the plane, it was the GP voltage regulator that melted and blew the melted material around the front of the cockpit fortunately the breaker blew. IT was a new GP 35amp Alt and regulator, it had 4 hrs of engine test running on it and seemed to be working ok. Has anyone had any problems with a GP 35 amp alt? Seems like the regulator couldn't handle the 35amp alt. I estimate I am drawing about 6 amps with everything on.

Congratulations! Great picture!

Check voltage regulator grounding is good. The GP 35 amp alt and regulator have worked fine in 685L for 50+ hrs.

Thanks guys, It appears the GP alt consists of aftermarket Harley parts. I ordered another regulator from a motorcycle parts supplier.

Attachments

• 803-547_A_V1.jpg
    803-547_A_V1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 46
Yup, without the Neighbor Hater pipes. Where did you locate the regulator and does it have air flow on it? Thanks John

Firewall, engine side on the far top right-hand corner as you look from the front. I don't have any 'airblast' on it but I do have some air directed to the 2ndry ign. coils which probably keep the general area cooler. There's a picture in my gallery.

I had mine on the back side of the firewall with stand offs so it could cool both sides, no issues at 135 hours.

Back