• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

FIRST FLIGHT!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speed20

Well, the long awaited maiden happened Wednesday September 22! My 2L, S/N 1589L, powered by a GP 2180 flew with no problems except that awful p factor , holding left rudder constantly in flight. going to install a fixed tab on the rudder like Fred did on his plane. The yaw to the right is ridiculous when I let up on the left pedal. Once that’s done, things should be much better! Didn’t there used to be an “Eat the elephant award” for long builds? I’m nominating myself as, get this, I cut the first piece of metal for my spars on New Year’s Eve 1984!!!! Life got in the way doing this project, but I never gave up! Awesome little plane!

Attachments

• 8A2EE978-8E09-4C1C-B662-48CBEC480B6F.jpeg
    8A2EE978-8E09-4C1C-B662-48CBEC480B6F.jpeg
    456.6 KB · Views: 112
So much admiration and respect, for your dedication and completion of something epic! I so admire men and women that take on terrific challenges; (like building an airplane from scratch), and actually 'finish-the-job'. Your bird looks fantastic sir! Just remember and don't forget to NEVER 'dive-her-in' to get her down and planted when landing...these birds are as slick as a glass-onion, and will overspeed in a 'NY minute'.
Huge congrats!

Congrats for sticking by and with your project! Now you get to enjoy the other phase of homebuilding; the flying part. Be careful, fully debrief each and every flight as you learn your new AC and continue to improve it and your skills. Well done!

Congrats for sticking by and with your project! Now you get to enjoy the other phase of homebuilding; the flying part. Be careful, fully debrief each and every flight as you learn your new AC and continue to improve it and your skills. Well done!
Advice well taken, thank you

So much admiration and respect, for your dedication and completion of something epic! I so admire men and women that take on terrific challenges; (like building an airplane from scratch), and actually 'finish-the-job'. Your bird looks fantastic sir! Just remember and don't forget to NEVER 'dive-her-in' to get her down and planted when landing...these birds are as slick as a glass-onion, and will overspeed in a 'NY minute'.
Huge congrats!
Thanks for your kind words, andYES, I’ve found out how sensitive pitch/airspeed can be. It’s very manageable, as I nailed 90 on downwind, then 80, and around 75 over the numbers, all the while,being VERY gentle on stick movement

Good for you, Speed! I hope to join you among the ranks of long term builders......but I've only been at it for six years, so I don't expect to beat your record!

Good for you, Speed! I hope to join you among the ranks of long term builders......but I've only been at it for six years, so I don't expect to beat your record!
I hope not for your sake😀

Back