• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

First flight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1penguin

Ok, so after 2 1/2 years of building 10 hours of ground testing and 11 months of waiting on airworthyness inspection N671SB is officially a plane! She had her first flight last saturday. She flew fantastic. My rpms at wot never got above 3000 but the performance was good. Oil temp kept climbing so i brought her down. All was good until touchdown. It got a crosswind gust that puched me to the grass on the left of the runway. As i was working my way back to the pavement i got a pot hole with the nose wheel. She fliped right over on her back. No real human injuries other than my pride. But now i need a new prop,spinner, canopy, and vertical tail. The rest is buff and pollish. Cant wait to get her put back together and in the air.

Sorry about the mishap, anything is fixable. Congrats on maiden. I’m curious, what size engine and what diameter and pitch prop do you have? I maidened my 2180 powered S2L with a 52 inch prop with 48 degrees pitch, and I too couldn’t break 3000 rpm.

Congratulations on your first flight! I'm sorry to hear about the flip. I like your attitude; get back on the horse! It's definitely worth it! Jon

Sorry about the mishap, anything is fixable. Congrats on maiden. I’m curious, what size engine and what diameter and pitch prop do you have? I maidened my 2180 powered S2L with a 52 inch prop with 48 degrees pitch, and I too couldn’t break 3000 rpm.
Mine is great planes 2180 with 52 x 46

Mine is great planes 2180 with 52 x 46
Almost identical components. Great Plains here too. I may go to a 54x 43 prop. I found I opened the throttle for takeoff, and that’s where I had to leave it till I reduced power for landing. Ran smooth but never went past 3000 flying straight and level

Congratulations on your first flight! I'm sorry to hear about the flip. I like your attitude; get back on the horse! It's definitely worth it! Jon
Agree with the "Jeeeez" and getting back on the horse. Just curious about the dynamics of the flip. Did the nose wheel plant itself in the hole and the plane pivoted over to one of the nose quadrants at something like a 45º or did it go straight over? Glad no injuries. I flipped a 152 many years ago doing the same thing. I was too fast for the rut in turf on the edge.

Agree with the "Jeeeez" and getting back on the horse. Just curious about the dynamics of the flip. Did the nose wheel plant itself in the hole and the plane pivoted over to one of the nose quadrants at something like a 45º or did it go straight over? Glad no injuries. I flipped a 152 many years ago doing the same thing. I was too fast for the rut in turf on the edge.
I think the nose wheel planted and bent the nose gear back then it put the left wingtip in the dirt and went over on the wingtip and spinner. I bet that 152 felt about the same. If i was any slower it wouldent have gone over.

Glad to hear you are ok! I purchased a Sonerai IIL that I have not flown yet, and I am concerned about egress if this should happen to me. Would you be comfortable sharing your experience with getting out of the Sonerai when it's upside down? Were you able to get out on your own?

Glad to hear you are ok! I purchased a Sonerai IIL that I have not flown yet, and I am concerned about egress if this should happen to me. Would you be comfortable sharing your experience with getting out of the Sonerai when it's upside down? Were you able to get out on your own?
Same here. That is a concern of mine too

Back