• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Flight Path Considerations and Heavy Vortice Convergence

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tls258

I was doing some research on the Thorp T-18 and ran across a fatal in-flight disintegration after airline-rated pilot crossed a heavy's vortices above and behind the heavy's flight path 2 minutes after the heavy passed. Conventional wisdom is that the vortices sink at the same level as the wings although most accident encounters are above the flight path statistically. Found some photos of heavy's vortices visualized and marked it up for what I believe happens when a heavy's wing vortices converge as a heavy is passing. I think it creates something similar to a microburst in the convergence zone that begins way above and merges through the heavy's flight path. Because the convergence is from two rapidly rotating air masses, the potential for exceeding climb performance and airframe capacity is apparent. I'm attaching my marked-up illustration if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• Vortex Convergence.png
    Vortex Convergence.png
    1 MB · Views: 72
Back