• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fuel Flow Gauges/Meters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickf

In the thread concerning sight gauge accuracy there were a couple of references to a fuel flow gauge. I am more than interested in this. The models I have been able to locate appear to be intended for much higher fuel flow rates than we experience (thankfully) and quite expensive. Does anyone have brand, model and vendor recommendations?

Thanks,

Dick Frederick

Libertie (my present aircraft) is equipped with dynon's ems D-10 and I have the redcube fuel flow meter. Now that said ....somewhere? I have a new in the box fuelflow meter and sending unit that is made for watercraft but is said to have good results in small airplanes ect. I got one a few years ago and since then have not seen then for sale. The Northstar model is the replacement for the one I have, around 150.00

I have two of these: http://www.navmanmarine.net/fuel-2100.html

If calibrated properly, they work great.

I am copying what I posted in the fuel system thread here as well since a year from now, a newb may never see the other thread if searching for fuel flow gauges. Just skip it if you read the other post. We all have respect for redundancy right? That being said, if you are reading this a year from now, see these other threads:

http://www.sonerai.net/smf/index.php?topic=3778.msg28238;topicseen#new http://www.sonerai.net/smf/index.php?topic=3772.msg28236;topicseen#new

One thing I will say about testing/calibrating a fuel system (whether for a sight gauge or a fuel flow meter) is that the only accurate way to know how much a gallon/liter is is to measure it by weight. Gas cans lie (as do fuel trucks)! Not a big deal in your lawn mower, a different story on a long cross country ;)

btw, I'm not suggesting that one put the plane on the scales, but rather get an accurate scale (not a bathroom or mail scale) and find a container and determine its volume by weight. I have a one gallon clear pitcher that I graduated in quarts. I then used that pitcher to calibrate a 5 gallon can accurately.

When you are calibrating a flow sensor, you drain as much fuel through the system as practical and then compare what the sensor says and what went through it. Next you put the gauge into a calibration mode and type in what really went through it. The more fuel you put through, the more accurate it is. As long as this process is done properly and then verified, they are great.

However, if someone assumes that the manufacture of a cheap plastic gas can really cares about accuracy it could be a deadly combination.

Thanks for the info, guys.

From what I can determine that Navman fuel flow indicator has been discontinued and other brands are unsuitable either to data bus requirements of cost.

Dick Frederick

I actually lost the first post I tried to post. Another company bought them out and we have one in the KR. I'll get the name of it tomorrow.

I found mine, it's a Northstar F-210. I forgot I had it. I will probably use it on my Sonerai 1. 8)

Back