• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fuel Vent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschrom

Yesterday while taxiing for takeoff I smelled raw fuel but dismissed it and took off anyway. (Not very smart in hindsight.) Then during the takeoff roll I saw several drops fall from the back of the tank, but this ended after climbout. That's what told me where to look for the cause and sure enough, after landing I learned that the vent tube was disintegrating. Not sure how long since I replaced it, maybe three or four years. Just a heads up to everyone to inspect it once in a while and maybe replace it regularly.

By the way, the decay was most advanced where the tube was stretched over the hose barb so I've removed the barb from the fitting.

Ed

Attachments

• 20210821_103903.jpg
    20210821_103903.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 36
I have always used 1/4” ID Tygon tubing for my fuel gauge and vent systems. It does not get brittle over time. It gets stiff, and discolors a little when there’s fuel in it for a long time, but it works very well. I also used it for my pitot and static systems.

Good tip. Thanks, Fred. I chose the blue stuff because it claimed to be resistant to alcohol but that's a moot point because I use ethanol free gas anyway. Next weekend I'll install hardware store vinyl for temporary use until my next order to AS.

My fuel vent line is all aluminum tubing and so is the line to the fuel sight-gauge. Only the short section of fuel gauge is transparent fuel line. My plan is to change that section out every year as part of the annual.

Last edited:
The only reason to use tygon or any other transparent tube is for the sight gage. All others I use Gates fuel line hose.

Back