• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

fuselage cover wit alluminium

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telix6361

HI,
I know that there's some one that had covered the fuselage whit aluminium sheet.
Ther'a link of work or some info rearguard the thickness of material and resoult of all?

TKS

MArco

I made a little calculation for material And I found:

Total area 120 Sf is I use 0.020 for all will be 120 * 0.288 =34.56 lbs 15,7 Kg

Only for tail 35 Sf and 35 * 0.360 +( (120-35) *0.288) =37.8 lbs 17,2 kg

only tail 35 * 0.360 =12.6 lbs 5.7 kg using 0.025 2025 T3

only tail 35* 0.288 =10.08 lbs 4,6 kg using 0.020 2025 T3

Son now using dacron 90 gr of polifiber medium, with all tratament how much wheight?

May be I could cover whit metal only the tail.

TKS

MArco

It has been done before. The Stits manual has weights of their systems with coatings. You will find that metal is going to be heavier.

But only cover the tail surface?

It's my first plane covered with facbric and I don't realy trust about resistance.
If ther's a scratch or pucture and you will go in flight, air will go inside and all surface will blow out .... in case with alluminium cover this don't appen

MArco

Marco:
You are worrying about nothing. Thousands of airplanes have been built with fabric covered tail surfaces over the years, and the fabric doesn't blow off when the fabric gets a hole in it. The best examples are many of the airplanes that flew during World War II. Bullet holes thru the fabric did not cause the fabric to come off. Just cover them with fabric as designed and go flying. As a side note, all of the tail surfaces on my Sonerai IIL have drain holes in the bottom surfaces, and the fabric is still attached.

Hi Marco,
do you know the old German fighter ME109?
The elevator and rudder was covered and the plane speeds up to >400mph !
There is no problem with covered tail.
with best regards
Juergen
(build it light: this is right!)

Back