• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

fuselage support rod (holes) for folded wings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shocktrooper

Hi everyone! I've been way out of the Sonerai loop for quite some time. Last post was me considering selling my 1982 S2L. Well...I have decided to keep it and recently had a small 30'x35' hangar built to house it and continue to (improve it) right in my back yard. The previous owner recovered the fuse and covered-over the support rod holes on each side to secure the wings for transport...aka.."trailering it to the airport". Can anyone direct me to some closeup pics, diagrams, or anything useful that could tell/show me how to 'correctly' cut the fabric and permanantly secure it around the ID of the holes (interior tube) for the rod? I need to move it from current airfield to my house, which is only about 12 highway miles distance. I can remove the wings for the trip but would prefer to do that when I get it home. Planning to build wall mounted wing racks too keep 'em safe from mishap, but am eager to get my bird to her new home ASAP. I can tie her down at the wings as usual till I can get the wall racks fabb'd and installed. My concrete guy put in some really nice recessed tie-down points in the floor when he poured the slab. I only have a 10 irons in the fire right now (nothing new!) and speed is of the essence to relocate her...dont want to have to pay another months rent at current location. Also...what size and material type of 'rod' is called for that will not marr or fail during the trip?
Thx in advance to all who respond. ;-)

Glad to here your keeping the Sonerai. The fabric around the wing support tube should have been reinforced with a "doughnut" 2nd layer of fabric with a pinked outside edge. I used a 5/8 tube with a sharpened edge to cut the hole. A 1/2 in. solid steel bar from local hardware is used to support the wings when folded. I used soft foam padding on both sides of the wings and a large washer made out of 1/4 plywood with a clip to hold in place.

Attachments

• 20200405_132935.jpg
    20200405_132935.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 81
Thanks Mytonic! If you have more pics of other views, such as a closeup of the fuse hole "donut" among any others that would help me (see this) better...it would be much appreciated!
It seems odd & out of the ordinary that no one else has responded.
........anyone else?.......

Currently camped at lake Michigan to salmon fish, will not be back home to take pics till the end of the month.

You didn't mention it in the post, so just in case, you really need some kind of rig to help stabilize the wings. Something like referenced in the plans or like Mytonic made. The wings can wiggle around a lot when they are folded. I did some damage to mine by not securing them properly.

You didn't mention it in the post, so just in case, you really need some kind of rig to help stabilize the wings. Something like referenced in the plans or like Mytonic made. The wings can wiggle around a lot when they are folded. I did some damage to mine by not securing them properly.
The above applies to when towing or trailering behind a car. If you are just folding to share a hangar or something like that, then a bar or tube through the wings and fuselage will suffice.

The above applies to when towing or trailering behind a car. If you are just folding to share a hangar or something like that, then a bar or tube through the wings and fuselage will suffice.
Thanks much for your responses gents...all 3 of you! I just removed the wings and transported my bird to my new 'back yard Sonerai FBO' LOL! and discovered that at some point in time, since its build in the early 80s...either way back then or along the way that; someone (I am the 4th owner) performed the wing front spar re-enforcement mod. with the angle aluminum strips (hurray!) and also either, never installed (or) removed the wing pivot mechanism.(boooo!) So its going to be all the way on or all the way off for me when I want to go-fly now. Not exactly happy about that...but I am thrilled to see the wing upgrade in there. Whoever last mounted those wings did not (apparently) use anti-seize on the 4 forward and 2 rear spar taper-pins! Not good...not fun...and I had to use half a can of PB blaster...and a short-handled sledge hammer and socket over the nut to get 'em out! I still am amazed that none of them snapped at the studs. I used a double stack of 2 nuts sandwiched on top of each other to stiffen them up for the abuse of that hammer. I had to swing it hard too! The aft LH was a real bear...took about 3 hours with many short little breaks and bouts of 'cussing horribly' along the way. But all's well that ends well... yes?
I have much improvements and modifications for my own safety and in the PIC seat comfort in mind. Will post some pics to this thread asap when I get time to get 'em from my phone to the thread here.
Again...thanks for the timely responses and advice guys!

So the 'big-move' was started early a.m. this past Monday and was completed by sunset on Tuesday. I used a friend's 'car-carrier' dual axle trailer, which didn't even know it had anything sitting on it! LOL! The S2 tied down (sans wings) and traveled very nicely. I think I am going to buy a set of S2 plans from Sonex for future reference(s) since I plan to keep the plane now. Only a couple of months ago...having my bird at my home and sheltered in her own dedicated, concrete floored hangar was just a dream...now a reality! I am blessed and grateful! The wing racks I built and installed on the back wall exceeded my expectation and I am VERY pleased with them. Got a used dual axle boat trailer in stasis I'll soon get fixed up and (re-purposed) for hauling the plane to the local County AP. Life is good right now...in spite of all the chaos going on around the country.

Attachments

• Moving 982AV 8:25:2020.jpg
    Moving 982AV 8:25:2020.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 35
  • 982AV arrival at new hangar 8:25:2020.jpg
    982AV arrival at new hangar 8:25:2020.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • 982AV at new hangar 8:25:2020.jpg
    982AV at new hangar 8:25:2020.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Back