• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Gaston Dorval & carburetors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviacs

In a previous post that meandered, about page 2, the subject of my project airplane G-PXD, Gaston, & carburetors came up. :)
https://www.sonerai.net/threads/my-s1-restoration.5139/#post-39298
This news item is suggestive: https://www.lesoleil.com/archives/a...aint-nicolas-1f59f1e32468c509facafbf9c44effad

(Carburetor problem stopped engine of amateur built Sonerai 2L, owner Gaston Dorval made an emergency landing on the shoulder of route 20 (the major rte between Montreal & Quebec). 2 people on board, no one hurt. No damage to the airplane, no inconvenience to traffic. August 8, 2009.)

Nice!

I bought the airplane from a later owner, never met Gaston, nor knew about him until joining here
Others who knew him or flew with him have wondered in posts if he was still with us.
There's an obit from 2018 for a Gaston Dorval who was a doctor, & one from 2015 from a retirement home in the town Gaston was listed as living in, occupation unlisted. Both include pictures.

Seems like he is (was?) an interesting guy - and a great pilot!

smt

Last edited:
Another member of S.net told me that forced landing was due to fuel exhaustion but I don't know whether he got that information directly from Gaston or was speculating.

I seem to recall Gaston was a flight instructor, though that probably wasn't his day job.

Ed

Back