• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Generators Burning Up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschrom

I wonder if you guys flying Revmasters can help with this. Two guys at my airport have recently completed Onexes with R-2300s and both have had generator trouble. One has burnt one of his stator rings (a semi-ring, actually - two separate generators make one ring) and the other has blown a fuse and is now reluctant to fly with the generator operating. The problem seems to be the battery. Each is using a lightweight Li-ion battery that, as I understand it, has less internal resistance than a lead acid battery, creating high current in the generator. Revmaster doesn't seem to have a definitive answer for them. One is going to try an adjustable B&C voltage regulator but isn't sure that will work.

Li-ion batteries have been around for a while - it seems to me many others must have had this problem. Does anybody know the solution?

Thx,
Ed

What batteries? Are they built to be used in a vehicle? EarthX makes a battery appropriate for scooters. I'd think a modern voltage regulator would make them work. Generic Li-ion battery cells without an integral charge management circuitry will definitely fry our little alternators. Also, even the small EarthX batteries can pull up to 15A. So, if the alternator isn't putting out 20A or better, its probably just not up to the task.

Last edited:
What batteries?

Good question. I assumed one of those marketed for experimental a/c but I could be wrong about that.

Why not just run the standard tried and true battery

If you mean lead acid, they don't want the weight.

Thanks for your replies.

Ed

Back