• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Getting parts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the cowl I think they are it other than rolling your own which would be a ton of work.

I did roll my own, just have the mold and have not made a cowling. And yes it was a ton of work, but I wanted the horizontal air intake. I have to also add the oil cooler intake. I think I will use carbon fiber and kevelar, have to work this out will also use vacume infusion as I think wet lay up would be a paine. still need to cost out material nad epoxy. Will try to upload photos

I did roll my own, just have the mold and have not made a cowling. And yes it was a ton of work, but I wanted the horizontal air intake. I have to also add the oil cooler intake. I think I will use carbon fiber and kevelar, have to work this out will also use vacume infusion as I think wet lay up would be a paine. still need to cost out material nad epoxy. Will try to upload photos
Kevlar can be tricky to work with, doesn't conform as nice to tighter compound curves and is heavier. If you go to trim it after it is cured, it doesn't leave a nice edge either.

When I go to do mine I'll make a plug, then a female mold and vacuum in my final lay up... Probably carbon fiber but fiberglass would be pretty cheap for me. The cost may not be worth the weight savings.

Back