• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

gpas secondary ign

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mytonic

I am installing a GPAS low profile secondary ign. that mounts in the distributor hole. The instructions say to drill and tap 2 set screw holes in the engine case, one at the O-ring position and the other 90 degrees from that. Seems odd to me to run a set screw into a O-ring and 90 degrees from that position a difficult location on the block. Looking for input on where everyone located the set screws on there installation. thanks for the help.

I used only one setscrew on my engine. As a secondary lock, I added bent steel angle (a piece of .035” strip stock) bolted to the case just inboard of the distributor housing, and a hose clamp around the housing and the angle.

I installed a gpas secondary over the winter. It does seem odd to install a set screw into the O-ring groove. The assembly DVD mentions that it won't damage the O-ring. I installed the second set screw about 135 degrees from the first as it was easier place for me to drill the hole and material thickness was greater. Before you install the ignition, install the set screws in to nearly flush with the bore. This will help prevent the holes from taking a bite out of the O-ring during insertion.

I cant imagine I let myself drill into the o-ring groove, but it was long ago, here are a couple pics of how I did mine.

Attachments

• LDH 3.jpg
    LDH 3.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 63
Thanks for the pictures, I ended up doing exactly the same. Have you had any oil seepage from the o-ring screw? Did you counter sink a seal in the shaft of the housing?

I have not had any leaks, and I believe the low height secondary ignitions have the seal installed now when purchased. I believe Scott Plischke gave the tooling to Steve Bennet.

Back