• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

GPASC flywheel drive?? does it fit the Sonerai??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalin

I was just wondering if anyone out there has a 'flywheel drive' Sonerai. I jsut downloaded the new catalog from the website and saw it......will it fit under the cowl due to the transmission flange height?? I know the mounts would have to be reworked, maybe even the bracing in the front of the plane....anyone have any details??

Jeff
building an SII mid wing

This is a newer VW configuration offered by GPASC and probably has not been mated to a Sonerai airframe yet. Maybe someone can confirm this. Anyway, I know from first hand experience that a pulley side drive VW is a tight fit in a stock cowl. On my Sonerai IIL, N994SP, the cowl nearly touches the low profile secondary ignition module and just barley cleared the top mounted oil cooler (when I had it) and that was with the setback adaptor. From just looking at the flywheel drive engine picture, I suspect that it will not fit in the stock cowling and significant modifications will be required to make it fit. The sleek lines of the Sonerai may be compromised in the process. Hopefully others can chime in with their opinions or better yet, actual experience with the flywheel side VW in a Sonerai.

Chad Stenson's sonerai had a rear drive of similar design installed. He did however have the bell housing trimmed away and a custom motor mount.

Back