• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Head room for a 5'-10'' pilot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 5' 10" and can almost put my fist between my head and the canopy without any padding on the seat. With a 2" seat cussion, I will still have a little room left.

I bought my Sonerai IIL from another builder, so I can not say for certain he didnt modify it, but it appears to be stock.

Thank you for your reply. I think I am going to add the extra two inches. Just to give me more options with the rear seat. I hope there is not too much of a performance loss do to wanting to be a little more comfortable.

Thank you for your reply. I think I am going to add the extra two inches. Just to give me more options with the rear seat. I hope there is not too much of a performance loss do to wanting to be a little more comfortable.
I dont think there would be much performance change, but I cant say for certain. I do notice the visibility is like a cub when the tail is down (cant see anything forward). I noticed in one of the sonerai videos on Youtube that they made part of the skit around the canopy out of clear lexan so they had more visability. IF I decide to completly redo this Sonerai one day, that will be added and I think with raising the canopy up any higher, this might be a really helpful mod.

I am 5'-10 and mine is stock height and I haven't ever noticed a problem with height but I do use a thin seat cushion.

If you do build I have a suggestion. At one point I took my airplane out of service to make a bunch of mods and changed the turtledeck/canopy shape. I used an ellise for the shape of the canopy rear bow/turtledeck front bow. The modified shape means you don't have to pull the canopy in as drastically as when it was per plans. It also makes it so the skirt can overlap the turtledeck to reduce drafts and provide better sealing. My airplane has had it both ways and if I were to build another Sonerai, I would do the elliptical shape again. Below is a drawing that shows the per plans canopy bow and mine side by side with the outlines of each swept in 5 degree increments about the respective hinge locations. You can see the interference that would prevent overlapping the skirt. Also is a picture of my Sonerai as it sits now and you can see the elliptical shape and the extended skirt. In my case the skirt is composite. I think the elliptical shape looks better too. It does put the hinges on the outside but it isn't really noticeable. Finally a picture from the original construction when it had the stock shape.

Canopy modification.png20200816_162718.jpgSonerai 07.jpg

Back