• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Help Sonex compile BOM and resolve hard to find items

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subnoize1

Supporting Member
I asked a question over at Sonex about getting a BOM and "kit" from the likes of Aircraft Spruce and Wicks.

Mark Schaible was kind enough to respond and said they were working on it but that it was the first he had heard there were some raw materials that were hard to find.

Case in point, the 25 feet of square 3/8 x 0.035 4130.

I am working off of memory right now so I might have this all wrong. I had a list myself for the substitutes but it got lost when I scrapped the first attempt at my build.

So maybe if we can get that info in one place for Sonex then it will make the build easier for everyone that comes after us.

I hope come summer I can push the easy button over at Aircraft Spruce and just pick everything up and get this thing built.

Thanks!

--jb

PS. I probably should have posted this under Resources. Derp!

Last edited:
I purchased all my 4130 tubing from Wicks, including the 3/8 square x .035.

That's cool. 5 years ago they didn't offer it on their site and said they couldn't find it. Things changed for the better! Yay!

Aircraft Spruce says they have a German manufacturer they can order it from but the tariffs are high and on such a small order there are no discounts.

Personally, I would like to avoid Wicks because I have to pay shipping and I don't have a credit account with them. I guess in a pinch I can order it from them...

BUT!

That kind of defeats the purpose on the "one-click-materials-kit" shopping experience. Part of encouraging new folks to build is to take away the risks like BOM purchasing and giving the savings such a purchase would afford by bulk buying.

Back