• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hold Great Plains 2180cc Timming issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionel neels

Hi Folks,

I am trying to put back togther my VW great plains engine that I repaired and I am stuck with the flywheel and alternator installation... I read the procedure but I look stupid bcse I do not understand how to do that! It says, turn the engine up to 12H, than offset to 28 degrees to the right, than install the flywheel and the alternator with the magnet etc... Can I have your explaination for a dummy amateur builder?? thanks

The purpose of setting the timing at 28deg for #1 cyl is so that the mag drive hub is mounted in the correct position. Mount the mag drive so when the puck is on the female slots of the puck will be at 10 and 4 o'clock position for initial timing.

Back