• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Horizontal Stab spar rust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyguyeddy

I finally got a chance to wire wheel some of the fuselage on my plane only to find this. Anyone got an opinion wether this is serviceable or not? I am not sure about the inside of the tube. Will have to get a bright flashlight after it

don't see any picture but if the rust can be removed with some scotchbright or light sanding then it should be OK. Is there some pitting? if so you need to determine the depth of the worst pits verses the wall thickness to find thickness of material remaining.

What does the tube look like next to the weld joint at the fuselage top longerons? That’s where the highest bending moment, and highest stresses are. If the pits are only at the tip end of the spar, there is no problem.

The worst of the pitting is the last 10" of the spar tube. The joints at the longeron look just fine and there is no pitting the first 12" each side.

Fred is correct the highest loading is towards the weld joint. Looks serviceable to me, although not pretty at the ends. You could just cut the ends off and butt weld a new section to replace the damaged bit. An inner sleeve to help keep the pipe straight during welding.

i could always just graft this part onto my fuselage

https://imgur.com/gallery/8jdSXwh

Back