• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

I did away with Rudder pedal Springs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious as to why you used a chain and sprockets instead of a cable and pulleys.

Just curious as to why you used a chain and sprockets instead of a cable and pulleys.
Because the correct diameter for an 1/8" cable pulley for a 90 degree bend is 3". But a chain dose not suffer from fatigue turning around a socket repeatability. There just is too little room to safely use a cable.

So why not use springs. Your work looks fine, but it is undoubtedly heavier than a couple springs.

Because the correct diameter for an 1/8" cable pulley for a 90 degree bend is 3". But a chain dose not suffer from fatigue turning around a socket repeatability. There just is too little room to safely use a cable.
Interesting. Thanks!

It is only a matter of ounces. With a complete closed loop control system I can perfectly rig the rudder control cables. There is zero added control resistance. I will never worry about a spring coming loose or braking. All type certificated rudder control cables are rigged this way. Ether using cables, chains or control tubes. Rigging the cables with correct tensions were the system is in a closed loop makes for a control system that simply glides through full travel with very positive system control. The hardware I have installed is temporary. The bolts securing the gears will be replaced with much lighter clevis pins. The other hardware temporarily holding things together will also be replaced with the correct hardware.

Back