• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Instruments and flying with a passenger?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMartin

Hello all, new guy here.
I would like to build the Sonerai Stretch and fly with a passenger from time to time.
Having the instruments up front seems like it would be too far from the pilot to get a good read and completely blocked with a passenger. Has anyone made the panel in the center in front of the rear pilot?
I'm guessing the pilot has to be in the rear when flying solo due to CG. Has anyone flown up front solo?
Thanks for your time

Hi Joe,

Solo is from the rear seat only, instruments in the front are not hard to get a good read but some may be hard to reach. Search all the gallery photos almost everything you can think of has been done!

It's been suggested several places including old newsletters IIRC - getting some time in a J3 can be useful. Anyone willing to comment on that?

OTOH, I have an S2 but no time in it, do have time in our club pre-war J3.
About the J3 i can say a large passenger does block the panel, but you get used to it. I clamp the GPS up overhead & 2 handhelds beside the seat. One is wired into an external antennae. Of course all is battery powered. In my S2 the radios are similar wired into an electric system & external Antenna, and the Xpndr is beside the seat for frequency changes. Mount for small Garmin right in front of rear seat on frame cross tube.

smt

Take on the main panel the flight instruments and on passenger panel the minor instruments, like on my Trener:

Attachments

• 20190516_163502.jpg
    20190516_163502.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 149
Aviacs said:
It's been suggested several places including old newsletters IIRC - getting some time in a J3 can be useful. Anyone willing to comment on that?

OTOH, I have an S2 but no time in it, do have time in our club pre-war J3.
About the J3 i can say a large passenger does block the panel, but you get used to it. I clamp the GPS up overhead & 2 handhelds beside the seat. One is wired into an external antennae. Of course all is battery powered. In my S2 the radios are similar wired into an electric system & external Antenna, and the Xpndr is beside the seat for frequency changes. Mount for small Garmin right in front of rear seat on frame cross tube.

smt

I got my tailwheel endorsement in a Citabria 7ECA. It is about the most docile of tail-draggers, very easy to land in 3 point and wheel.

I got time flying a Champ 7AC prior to flying the Sonerai IIL for the first time. It was a good tailwheel warm up. But, not much like flying the S2 in my opinion.

I really think the best way to get ready for that first flight in the Sonerai is to spend some time taxiing it. I taxied and taxied. And, I got the speed up to where I could just get the tail up, reduce throttle and hold the tail off till it dropped on its on (keeping the feet OFF the brakes!). My hangar neighbors kept telling me about how more airplanes got wadded up from high-speed taxi than from 1st flights. But, I did not scare myself at all doing this.

I was still scared on my first flight. I made about 4 approaches and wave offs before finally making that first landing. And, that was after taking it up and experiencing several stalls (power on, and off).

As far as worrying about the instrument panel. I don't consider the S2 a real 2 seat airplane. And, I set the altimeter before start the airplane. So, I don't worry about the instrument panel. I don't have any kind of panel for the back seat. Just an iPad mounted to the top back rail of the front seat, and a hand-held radio I clip to the canopy cross-bar.

Joel,
Ever flown a J3 Cub?
When I sold Kenny (above) 994SP, that was my advice for an S2 warmup. Fly a Champ from the back seat. Kenny really needed none of that as he understates his capabilities!
I was fortunate enough to grow up flying numerous tailwheel airplanes and the S2 seemed very straightforward after flying it home from purchase. I bought 994SP from “SP’s” estate and the prebuy inspection and test flight all took place in one visit. The instrument panel in the front seat isn’t an issue. A big grin reflected my impression of the S2s flight characteristics which seemed somewhat easy to fly compared to say a Pitts S1, Yak 50, Pawnee Harmon Rocket or any other poor forward visibility TD. It’s simply a hoot to fly, like a fighter, you strap it on!
As far as PAX go, I gave rides to my petite wife and the grandkids 9 and 12 yrs old. Realize the front seat and stock canopy provide little head and leg room for big people up front. You can see enough of the panel inflight moving your head from side to side.
That said, If you want to haul adult size passengers, fly from the front seat with similar sport flying characteristics, Lycoming power and fantastic flight characteristics, buy an RV4. I built my RV4 25 yrs ago and I still think it’s the best bang for the sport plane buck, behind the S2.

Email me offline with any questions....
V/R
Smokey

I test flew my Sonerai 2 in 2015, I had about 15 hours of dual in a J3, no solo time. My first Sonerai flight was also my first solo and test flight. I did some speed taxing on the grass runway never lifted the tail but could feel it getting light then I would back it off slowly. I practiced these for awhile until I had the feel. When the day came I held the stick back all the way and firewalled it on the grass runway and just waited till it levitated! It was then that the real knee knocking began, I wasn't scared but lets just say I was aware! After about 20 minutes I was ready to get out, I did some slow flight till I felt buffet, then added 10 mph and descended for what I will describe as an arrival, solidly planting on terra firma. I would say the second and third flights were more nerve wracking as I knew it was going to fly, all and all its much the same as my RV4 which I dearly love.

I placed an MGL extreme in the back with an airspeed indicator in front on the RH side of the panel. I don't fly with passengers so that airspeed indicator is a quick reference when landing - I don't have to look down at the extreme - check out my gallery. Very simple. With a passenger I could still see that airspeed indicator over their right shoulder. Again...keep it simple.

Docile like J3 just like Smoky describes.

If you look at my panels you see overkill, I wouldn't have doubles of any instruments, if I did the original build. In fact after I get it back flying I plan to remove the duplicates.
Like Matt said keep it simple.

Back