• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Intake cross over tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mytonic

There is exhaust film on the left side of my fuselage and wing after each flight, but not on the right side. The film does not appear to be oily so I am guessing it is fuel related. The mixture is on the rich side for takeoff and leaned in cruise, the engine runs smooth at all power settings, never hesitates or misses. The exhaust film seems to have started after I enrichened the mixture. I did a leak down test and got 75-78/80 on all cylinders, so no valves leaking. No cross-over tube between intakes. I would like to know how many Sonerias are using cross-overs and anyone else with a similar situation? Thoughts?

I have the same thing on 4SP. Except, it is clearly exhaust soot. A lot of it on the left, almost nothing on the right. It looks to me like the #4 cylinder is running rich compared to the other cylinders.

I don't have the intake crossover tube. I'm thinking about trying one. I've hears it helps equalize fuel flow to the cylinders.

Is either of you using a slider carb? They don't atomize very well and the side that has the dribble will run richer. To avoid that I installed my Aerocarb updraft with the slider moving fore and aft and it really works - no more stains on one side than the other and the plugs are always the same color.

Ed

Thanks, Kenny and ED, Yes Aero Carb on its side. Originally was going to mount it updraft but had difficulty with cables and room for air box. Seems like it might be lack of atomization, the exhaust soot started after a needle adjustment to a rich setting. Now I will have to find a way to spread the wealth evenly.

People have made "turbulators" that mount in line between the carb and the manifold. They have angled blades that circulate the mixture as it heads up the manifold. There might even be a photo on this site.

I had horrible problems with an Aerocarb mounted on its side in a KR. I ended up creating a swirl device since there was no other option. That kind of fixed it. I had the same issue with my Sonerai when I first built it and aligning the carb fixed it. If you can, fix the carb alignment first. If not, a flow swirling thingy and a crossover might be workable bandaids.

Back