• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Is a Sonerai II a good airplane for a Low time pilot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenithPilot

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, and to the wonderful world of the Sonerai. I have a question for anyone, and surely most know the answer. I want a Sonerai, preferably a Stretch, tailwheel. I have been flying my whole life, and grew up around airplanes. I just recently bought a fly baby, and on top of that, I just recently got my tailwheel endorsement. My question to you is, is the Sonerai II a good step up from the fly baby? Or not? I'm still a little ways away from getting one, but for my next airplane, I want a two seat, enclosed, and affordable airplane. I would appreciate all the advice given!

I had 6 hours of T/W time (in a C-140) when I started flying my Stretch. My opinion is that the Sonerai is easier to control on the ground than the Cessna. Many, however, are intimidated by the higher approach speed of the Sonerai. For reference, I am a high time pilot accustomed to approach speeds over 120 knots. Please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

All the best,
Chucker

My only tailwheel time was in an Aircamper, about as sluggish an airplane as ever flew, and I didn't bend any metal in making the transition to the Sonerai. It's not at all difficult to handle in landing or takeoff as long as you have a light touch and are quick with your feet. I would certainly recommend it to you. Start on grass if you can.

Ed
2LS

Just control the rate of decent but once in ground effect the Sonerai will settle gently and track straight if built straight.

My first landing at Chino in the Sonerai (and first flight post restoration) followed a couple of hours in a Decathlon after not flying at all for 3 years and about 30hrs TW total. The Soneria took care of me!
I recommend taking several runs down the runway with power and then cutting power - if you can handle that, you'll find the landings are much easier!

I'd not flown for a decade when I got my Sonerai IILS. I took advanced taildragger training in a Maule Rocket, about 20 hours of it. Turns out, That was a good decision. My instructor captains The Pitts Aerobatic Team.
Bill E

Back