• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

It followed me home.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3480h1

Loaded up the Sonerai and brought it home today. Beautiful day, uneventful trip. Progress should come much faster now that it's here.

Tom

Attachments

• Sonerai Loaded.jpg
    Sonerai Loaded.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 84
Jeff, since this is a Stretch Limo version, I'd probably need a 24 hour handicap to hit Fisk arrival at the same time as the rest of the flight. ;D

Seriously considering building in wing tanks in the first two bays of each wing, so I can finally meet some of the other members.

Tom

Tom as your wings are not built yet, that is really something to consider

Flight Tested my new wing tanks on my S2 today...

all is well but the Right wing tank takes longer to fill (gravity) than the left one .
I will investigate that later. for now I can live with that...

may be it's only because I filled the left one first, when the weight of the fuel in the main tank was greater...I'm not even sure I will investigate that, maybe later but now, I can live with that...

spring is back Yes Yes Yes I knew it was to come....

another flying season with this fantastic little bird...

Gaston

Thank you Gaston, I've been waiting to hear about your wing tanks. I am convinced this is the way to go, so I will do it when building my wings. Very good to hear you are flying again!

Tom

I think it is important for all to understand that the wing tanks Gaston has developed are auxiliary tanks. As such, when main tank fuel runs low, the fuel in the auxiliary wing tanks is transferred up to the main tank to replenish it, via a pump and valve. The engine is not fed from the wing tanks, but from the usual main tank.

It may be possible to run the wing tank fuel directly to the engine with a pump, but if the pump fails (or the pilot mismanages the system) the engine will stop. Gaston's design still utilizes the main fuselage tank as the only tank which directly feeds to the engine. Therefore, if the auxiliary tank pump fails there is still gravity feed fuel pressure from the main tank to the engine, to feed the remaining 3-4 gallons. That allows enough time to find an airport to land and fuel the aircraft.

Tom

I like keeping it simple. But others have used wing tanks with no other tank to feed the engine. But this is another reason I do not like those designs and fly what I do.
No fuel pumps for me to feed the engine. All gravity for me. All the small airplanes I have seen that do use wing tanks have two strokes on them. Another reason I avoid two strokes. Just to much to go wrong with one, but this is another story.

But I do stick by my original statement. I don't like the fuel in the cockpit. But what do you do.

Tony

If one is determined to put fuel in the wings, this is how I did mine. They are wet wings. I have a Sonerai-1. Inside wing skin is 4X8 foot sheet of aluminum. I made my tank from 6 inches inside end ribs of that sheet. Fuel is ahead of main spar, ideal for CG. Fuel tank back is same material and shape as main spar web. From the back of the flange of the fuel tank back to the main spar front edge, there is only 1/2 inch of wing skin. Nose ribs in tank are on 6 inch centers. With that arrangement I have 8 gallons in each wing, and 9 gallons in fuselage tank for 25 gallon total. I installed a C-85-12 continental engine in mine and have a full electric system in it. I wanted electric start. It is a wonderful airplane, however, I made a huge amount of extra work for myself. More than I realized. My advice to anyone building a Sonerai-1 is to keep it as light as possible, build the spar mod into wing, go with a Great Planes VW with their electronic ignition for dual ignition, and you will have an airplane that is fun to fly, has good performance, and is affordable to fly. You have to fly an airplane this size to fully appreciate and enjoy them. This goes for the Sonerai-2 as well. If anyone wants more info. they can contact me through my email. PatMc

patmc said:
this is how I did mine. They are wet wings. I have a Sonerai-1. Inside wing skin is 4X8 foot sheet of aluminum. I made my tank from 6 inches inside end ribs of that sheet. Fuel is ahead of main spar, ideal for CG. Fuel tank back is same material and shape as main spar web. From the back of the flange of the fuel tank back to the main spar front edge, there is only 1/2 inch of wing skin.

Pat; If understand you correctly, your LE fuel tank is approx. 36”+/- long and the form of the LE ribs minus 0.5”, or is there something I’m not grasping ? Do the nose ribs end at the back of the tank, pass through the tank bulkhead (which I assume would make that aft bulkhead multi-part), connect to some sort of stand-off(s) or float.

I’m trying to visualize this as I’m thinking through the same notion for my SII (should be done in a decade or two).

Thanks…

Larry, my e-mail address is in the members section. Send me a e-mail with your phone number and I will call you and can explain in detail. Much faster.

Back