• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Joe's S1 Progress Update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeB

I updated my project page but then remembered that no comments are allowed there, so I will repost here:
The Green and White basecoats are on the fuselage, just needs a race number and trim color added!
photo_2.JPG

racegunz said:
Yep that is gonna look sweet! How did you like the Stewarts process?
Thank you!

The EkoBond glue is the only way to go, no smell, easy cleanup, great to work with. Highly recommended

As far as the topcoat goes...I did not use Stewart's System due to a very expensive and frustrating lesson on my PA20 restoration (which I did not paint, the experienced painter had used Stewart Systems several times before in the past with good success, unfortunately he had nothing but issues on my airplane and with Stewart Systems support). They blamed everything from his compressor to his trigger finger, then they sent him a gallon of 'new and improved EkoFill primer' which sprayed absolutely perfectly. He continues on and then had terrible issues with the topcoat that cost him (and me) about 3 weeks for aggravation and a ton of money. He finally gave up and told me to come get what was left of the $1800 of SS product (and my airplane) or we switch over to PolyFiber. (The Pacer now has PolyFiber top coat and looks great)

So I used the remaining 'improved' Ekofill primer on my Sonerai.
The topcoat is from the experimental section of Sherwin Williams Aircraft Paint and Supply company ;D

That's really interesting Joe -I had horrible trouble with my SS top coat also and as a result I'll never paint again.
My paint, by design, is not thickly applied for weight purposes. A '20ft job' ;D

mhflyit said:
That's really interesting Joe -I had horrible trouble with my SS top coat also and as a result I'll never paint again.
My paint, by design, is not thickly applied for weight purposes. A '20ft job' ;D

Don't give up, after you fly it a year or so try again.
Hit it with some 320 open coat to knock down the finish (red scotchbrite on the pressure points and tape), then make a trip to SW! I may have $60-70 for the top coat, that is enough to do the entire airplane.

Light dusting coat to start, let it tack up (semi-dry to the light touch), then another, wait/tack, turn the volume 1/2 turn and spray again, wait/tack, another coat with 1/2 turn, wait/tack, then a final wet gloss coat with 3/4 turn volume. Clean everything up with water while the paint dries, then put everything away. It will look good then, and even smoother the next morning.

Since the wings will be green I decided that the fuselage needed some more color (and the weather was really nice today).

normal_3.JPG

Raceair said:
Wow, what a difference!! That green is very close to John Monnett's original 'Sassy Grass Green'….

Yes, You got that right Ed. #1 may have had some inspiration on the color selection!

Kevin R. said:
I like that green, very pretty!
Kevin

Thanks for the positive feedback Kevin. Now get back to work on yours so my motivation stays strong!

bobthebuilder said:
That looks lovely Joe.
Absolutely beautiful.

Thanks Bob, I'm hoping for a nice restoration and a great flying airplane when it's all done!

I'm not the only one to get a ">120 since last post" warning!
Made some great progress in the last week.

One wings is completely stripped and ready for paint, second wing is halfway there.
All tail surfaces are now covered, laced and taped. I should have the fabric pieces and wings painted this week (if the weather holds out...)

First two weeks of October will be a short break from the Sonerai but then I'll hit this project hard again come mid/end of October. This thing may fly again...

I'll have to get some updated pics, here are some work in progress shots:
normal_image~37.jpg

normal_image~38.jpg

normal_image~39.jpg

normal_image~41.jpg

Back