• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Just purchased yesterday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice! You gotta give us some specs. What engine? Prop? What's the empty weight? Have you flown it yet?

---------------

I seen now that was Myles' airplane. It looks really sharp! I hope you get to fly that thing soon!

Last edited:
Very nice! You gotta give us some specs. What engine? Prop? What's the empty weight? Have you flown it yet?

---------------

I seen now that was Myles' airplane. It looks really sharp! I hope you get to fly that thing soon!
Yes Myles did a great job and the plane looks great. I am planning a few upgrades over the winter such as hydraulic brake and a larger engine with dual ignition. At the moment it has a 1835 but I would prefer 80hp minimum. I am new to the VW conversion so I will be reaching out to the group for any suggestions or recommendations. I would also be looking for parts that any member might have for sale.

Yes Myles did a great job and the plane looks great. I am planning a few upgrades over the winter such as hydraulic brake and a larger engine with dual ignition. At the moment it has a 1835 but I would prefer 80hp minimum. I am new to the VW conversion so I will be reaching out to the group for any suggestions or recommendations. I would also be looking for parts that any member might have for sale.

I'd recommend you fly it awhile before doing an engine swap. I have an 1835 in 4SP and, I've put over 300 hrs on it in the last 3 years. It flies great!

When the engine I have is ready for a rebuild, I'd consider putting a larger engine. But, firewall-forward weight is a huge factor.

I'd recommend you fly it awhile before doing an engine swap. I have an 1835 in 4SP and, I've put over 300 hrs on it in the last 3 years. It flies great!

When the engine I have is ready for a rebuild, I'd consider putting a larger engine. But, firewall-forward weight is a huge factor.
What Hp is your 1835

Congratulations Tony. I'm a new Sonerai 1 owner myself. Doing a tear-down right now but have no plans to swap out my 1835. Everything I read says it's a great engine. 60hp BTW.

Congratulations Tony, Thats a beautiful Sonerai II. I have to admit I was (briefly) scheming for a few days as to what it would take to get it into the States to my location... Post up some pics when you can.

Congratulations Tony, Thats a beautiful Sonerai II. I have to admit I was (briefly) scheming for a few days as to what it would take to get it into the States to my location... Post up some pics when you can.
Well maybe I’ll get some of the upgrades done and leave the engine for now...I should get decent performance at sea level, however, I will start collecting parts for an upgrade or if the right engine come along for the right price I’ll swap it out. It would be informative if someone with a similar setup can post their performance figures.

I don’t think that there is an issue buying airplanes across the border because it’s for “commercial purposes” as it is a sale...once I shuffle a couple cars around and get it into my hangar I will drop the cowl I’ll start taking some picture.

Which border?
Have you crossed with it yet?
My experiences with Canada were "interesting"....but ultimately easy.

smt

What Hp is your 1835

Its 60hp at 3400 RPM. I think that's pretty standard. I've lost about 35 lbs over the last year. But, even when I tipped the scales at a plump 205, I could climb to 3,000'msl at around 700-750fpm. It climbs great at around 90mph.

But, that means you gotta rotate at 60, then accelerate in ground effect. Its not a great short field bird. But, other than that, 60hp works just fine for a 557lb EW fun flyer.

Its 60hp at 3400 RPM. I think that's pretty standard. I've lost about 35 lbs over the last year. But, even when I tipped the scales at a plump 205, I could climb to 3,000'msl at around 700-750fpm. It climbs great at around 90mph.

But, that means you gotta rotate at 60, then accelerate in ground effect. Its not a great short field bird. But, other than that, 60hp works just fine for a 557lb EW fun flyer.
Ok thanks for the performance specs...I own a Maule so I didn’t buy this one for short field performance just for something different which I can have the pleasure of being able to work on and also modify.

Ok thanks for the performance specs...I own a Maule so I didn’t buy this one for short field performance just for something different which I can have the pleasure of being able to work on and also modify.
Also what cruise speed do you get with the 1835

I see 145 +/- (depending on OAT) at 24" MAP, which I consider cruise power. Don't know how fast the engine's turning because the tach has been broken for a while. This is in a 2LS with a 54x46 prop.

Back