• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Kevin R. S-1 Progress Update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soneraii

Here are some updated pics of progress on my S-1. Engine is in permanently, as is the gear, instrument panel, and fuel system. About to tie up electrical system and engine wiring. I will shortly be doing fuel flow test again per recent discussions here with a high pitch attitude. Then I will be running the engine and getting the baffling all back in. The engine has been run before. Most of the work remaining has to do with paint and then final assembly. Engine is a Great Plains 2180 with starter and alternator. Grove gear and Cleveland wheels and brakes. May sound heavy and maybe it will be but most of the weight is forward which per the history of these airplanes is good. I am fairly light at 165 lbs. We will see shortly how the W&B comes out. The wing had the S mod incorporated in construction.

Attachments

• 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    370.4 KB · Views: 91
Nice! Thinking an S1 is what I should have purchased since I am basically turning my SIIL into a single seat limo ;)

I am able to work on the S-1 just about everyday right now and the weather is getting better for painting. I have the plane almost 100% done right now except for paint which I should be into next week, I hope, or the week after depending on temps. I have quite a bit of painting left to do coupled with some fiberglass finishing, as always.

I really think it will be ready for first flight in November barring any major unforeseen setbacks.

Thanks everybody,
Kevin

I'm just about through painting. Everything painted except wheel pants and spinner, should get them done tomorrow. I hate it. But nearing final assembly. Just balanced the ailerons since they now have paint on them. Will get the painted empennage on soon. Should be getting wt. and balance done very soon. Horizontal tail surfaces including the elevators are yellow as will be the spinner and wheel pants.

Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    322.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1059.JPG
    288.3 KB · Views: 94
Kevin, Wow, a classic Steve Wittman style paint job!!!…It looks great!…Ought to really show up in the air.
I am in charge of Supervee Race numbers….If you want to be assigned one, let me know!……Ed F.

Looking great Kevin! Really exciting to see some airplanes coming together!

I put a little color on my S1 today, I'll try to get a pic and update my progress report as well.

Wow Kevin,

That paint really pop's out at ya! Should be very visible! Looks like your a shoe in for an Elephant eater award!

Congrats!

Tim

That's an interesting fuel tank you have there. Is that the standard tank? It looks like a composite job to me.

O'Bill

Thanks everybody for the nice comments on the paint.

Ed, I don't need a number yet, let's see how this thing flies. I think it is going to fly well. I think it is well built. It won't be competitive in racing I don't think because it has the Sonerai II S wing, therefore my span is closer to 19', but that should make for a nice docile flier and landing airplane. I figure the extra couple of feet will slow me down. Also, with an electrical system and starter I expect it to be predictably a bit heavy for and S-1 but user friendly. But, I only weigh about 165 so that will help. I didn't realize it was a Steve Wittman paint scheme but did some searching and sure enough. I just like bright colors.

O'Bill, that is the stock tank for the S-1 and it is aluminum.

All the painting is now done. In between Holiday commitments I will get it weighed and see where my CG comes out in the next couple of weeks and work towards tieing up loose ends and setting up a DAR inspection.

Thanks again for the support and for this website.

Kevin

Back