• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Landing Gear, Wheels, and Brakes Selection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonfilipa

Supporting Member
So I'm at the point of purchasing landing gear, wheels, and brakes for a Sonerai II-LS. Items I'm planning to get are listed below and am initially planning on purchasing from O'Keefe Aero. That said, I'm open to advice if anyone here has knowledge and/or experience of something different, better, and the same cost or not too much more.
- Standard Sonerai II Stretch landing gear (5/8 thick, 2024 aluminum)
- 3/4" pre-welded axle kit
- 5" aluminum wheels
- 12 X 4.00 X 5 tires
- hydraulic brake kit
- Dual hand lever master cylinders

I'll say that I'm favoring going the hand brake lever route instead of toe brakes. One reason being that if I ever fly with a passenger I don't want to have try and cram in toe brakes plus a master cylinder in already tight confines. Also was just looking to go with the dual hand lever, which I believe per another post Fred and others were in favor of. That said, open to other's opinions. And am interested to know if others that have switched from the Asuza style wheels to something more expensive (Cleveland) found it was worth the money.

Jon Filipa

I don't have them, but the Sonex hydraulic disc brakes seem to be a fairly slick setup. The part I like is that the wheel can be removed without disassembly of the brake components.

I have the gear items you listed (other than the hand operated levers) that I bought from Great Planes a couple of years ago. It all looks OK so far. The disk pads are very small, about 1" diameter and I'm looking for a spare pair. My brakes are toe operated from the front rudder pedals as the aircraft is set up for front seat solo.

Scott P put the Cleveland kit on 994SP. I think its the 199-102 kit with the 40-78B wheels, and 30-9 brakes with toe brakes on the pilot's rudders. I really like this set up. Maintenance is pretty easy, and hardware is readily available.

Back