• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Landing Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattflyer

I have a sonerai IIL with a 1/2in gear. Finished the project a while back. Came in at 550 pound empty weight, but that 1/2in gear still seemed really flimsy. I added the radius blocks from grove to prevent from tweaking the lower longerons. It didn't take much and in my opinion is totally worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_3902.jpg
    IMG_3902.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3907.jpg
    IMG_3907.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 183
My understanding (until now) was that the strap-on gear spring mount had enough flex to avoid damaging the fuselage longerons and attachment bushings....that it is only the bolt-on gear spring mount that had problems. Now I am beginning to wonder....and scheme....as to what to do with my strap-on mount.

Does anyone have a good history on this issue?

I’ve been flying with the strap-on gear for almost 32 years and almost 1600 hours (I haven’t counted the number of landings). I started out with the 1/2” gear and changed over to the 5/8” gear a long time ago. There have been NO problems. Don’t over think this. The 5/8” gear is twice as stiff as the 1/2” gear, so it is much less likely to effect the lower longerons, particularly when strapped on.

My plane is proof that they can defiantly get tweaked. Whoever had my plane last must of hit the ground kind of hard at one point because the cross tubes were a bit bent when I got the project.

Matt

Speaking of 1/2" gear...how did it work on the single-seat Sonerai? Is it just a matter of maximum landing weight? My project came with the 1/2" gear and I believe that the 5/8" gear weighs over 8 pounds more than its little brother. I plan to operate at a maximum takeoff and landing weight of 750 pounds. Is it worth giving the 1/2" gear a try? Or, should I just bite the bullet and strap on another 8+ pounds?

My typical takeoff weight solo is around 880lbs. My empty Sonerai is 625 lbs. I initially had the 1/2 inch gear, probably with a slight bit of tow out. This caused the gear to splay out during taxi and landing. I like the smoothness of the 1/2 gear but I like the stiffness of 5/8 gear much better. True the 5/8 gear weighs 8lbs more initially but by the time I had my axles holes drilled and removed metal for clearance of the Cleveland calipers, the final gear weighed only 5lbs more.

mhflyit said:
I thought you'd appreciate that Tim!!
Another way of putting it - why add extra stress!! ;)

I can appreciate it! I have to consciously rest my knees on the against the fuselage in order to keep my lower legs from tensing up on the rudder pedals. Its amazing how much quicker you can get your ducks in a row and make the first turn off when your left foot isn't fighting your right one on the rollout.

And, if I can relax on the stick, I can do a better job of nailing the flare so I don't bounce.

Matt,
Was there an issue with the length of the radius bars from Grove where they could not be used to serve both as a radius bar and strap?

I have installed this same set up on my Acro II per the Aviat/Christen Eagle service advisory and it even holds up to my landings. The Grove landing spring and bars are made of 7075T6. Most other springs are much less expensive, but they are made of 2024. The Grove gear is TOUGH - I believe their new Sonerai 1 springs are also 5/8ths thick. If the radius bar length could accommodate the bolt attachment the heavy strap could be removed.

I’d like to also forgo the need to use the heavy centering plates (.035 4130) shown in the Sonerai 1 plans. My Acro II uses a single hour glass shaped .040 (6061T6) butterfly panel with several large lightening holes that is held in place with a single AN3 bolt to the center of the gear spring and the outer radius bar bolts. Again, even my landings with the landing weight of 1540 lbs. does not stress this setup. The doubled longerons would likely fail well before the centering panels and that .375 steel strap shown in the Sonerai I plans.

I’m trying to put my fuselage on a diet since I went heavy on the wing spars. Any thoughts?
John

Attachments

• 20160402_132826.jpg
    20160402_132826.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 111
Back