• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

landing gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very good idea-------------- I will ---Thank you
Called Sonex today.. Had a very nice talk.. Bottom line: Wait..

If any other builders want a gear in the future, my advice is.. Call Grove landing gear Co.and get on the "list" now..

Why not try making your own? You can get the dimensions and angles from another Sonerai.

The gear leg I bought from GP had to be modified to increase the angle of the leg out of the fuselage. A local metal bender did it for few dollars.

Obviously you need to be sure there are no fatigue stress points such as nicks or scratches in the leg and that you use the correct grade if metal.

I was able to get landing gear from Grove a year ago in last December. I was calling them and (politely) checking their schedule every two months. It took about five months to get the gear so order early. The gear is pretty!

Attachments

• 20220702_181958.jpg
    20220702_181958.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I have a 1/2" gear with mechanical brakes and wheels to sell.
i'VE ATTACHED THE DRAwING FOR THE oKEEFE GEAR. tHE leaf is 5/8" thick. For a Sonerai II you don't want less than that because the gear will spread over time. I have not found a way to overcome that.
John Monnette of Sonex now markets the drawings again. I'm surprised he does not sell the gear leags.

Attachments

• 7846322 LNDING GEAR.gif
    7846322 LNDING GEAR.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 0
Made per plans, Azusa wheels with tires, in Bellefontaine, Ohio. Never used, and has 4 mounting holes drilled, and has mechanical brakes installed.

I had 1/2" gear on my mind wing Sonerai. Never had a spread problem, but it did feel a little mushy.
I installed the 5/8" and it made the ground handling a lot better as far as the mushy feel went.
The 1/2" gear worked just fine, just that mushy feeling.

Made per plans, Azusa wheels with tires, in Bellefontaine, Ohio. Never used, and has 4 mounting holes drilled, and has mechanical brakes installed.

Not really looking for wheels/brakes. How much were you asking. I left my
e-mail address in a post if that's better for you

Did anyone find a source to purchase from? If not, please let me know and I'll look into making a batch. I have access to presses up to 600 tons and can easily form these on our newer lower tonnage machines. Will check on material pricing now.

Can someone confirm the 2024-T351 is the proven alloy? And is cold forming (no annealing before and no stress relieving/heat treat after) the acceptable method?

The plans show the dimensions. Starts from a 6" wide 72" long bar. Original was 1/2" thick but 5/8" is more common I think.

Back