• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Larger Oil Cooler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonerainut

Greetings All!

I am new to the Sonerai.net website and this online forum, so If I am going about this the wrong way please let me know.

I have a IILS with a stock Great Plains 2180 cc engine and have been fighting high oil temps since my first flight, CHT's are OK. I basically have to manage power and climb speed to keep the oil temp from redlining - no fun flying when I'm thinking I'm frying the engine. I have tried several different ducting schemes, etc. with no avail. The engine is equipped with the stock VW top mount oil cooler with a set back plate from Great Plains.

I noticed in Scott Plischke's photos that he originally had the same stock cooler and wound up installing the larger (Great Plains?) cooler. I am pretty sure I need to go the way Scott did , but before I start changing things I thought I would throw this out for comments.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Lee Riedel (sonerainut)

Lee,

Welcome to the forum. You did perfect for your first post!

You mentioned ducting schemes so I assume you have box baffles - ? Some people have commented that they have less oil temp problems when using pressure cowls. Don't know if this is true and if I had more time on my hands, I'd switch to a pressure cowl to see if it indeed makes a difference. Anyway, the external oil cooler totally solved my oil temp problem and the box baffles keep the heads nice and cool.

Keep us informed.

-Scott

Scott,

I have a pressure cowl set up - after installing a lip on the cowling air outlet the CHT's are great! The box baffles are slick - I just went with the basic pressure cowl set up because I am more familiar with that setup. It sounds like I should have incorporated a larger oil cooler from day 1. I'm OK when it is 80deg OAT but loose the battle above that. Since it is always hot during Oshkosh I have to do something. I see you used the Great Plains twin outlet tower - now which cooler do I pick? It looks like you used the 48 row from Great Plains. Do you run into too low oil temp problems. I can always foil tape over a portion for cold weather ops.

Great job on the website - I'll get my profile updated and add some pictures soon.

Regards,

Lee

I had the smaller plate cooler from GPAS and could never get my oil temps to within reason. I switched to a Mocal cooler of the same size and have no issues now. Those plate coolers let way too much air past without putting it to work.

Lee,

Yes, I use the 48 row cooler from Great Plains. The cooler is an overkill in the winter but much appreciated in the summer. During the winter, I simply put a piece of duct tape over the smiley vent. A much better solution is to build a cockpit controllable door to regulate the amount of air going to the cooler. Perhaps I'll do this one day.

-Scott

Hi Lee,
for my S1, the original builder told to me, that there is a problem with the oil temperatures at low speeds.
With this information, first I messured my cowling air inlets and my cowling air outlet. In the orginal, the area was 1 to 0.7 (inlet to outlet). My first work was , to opened the outlet to become 1 to 1.
Additional I made a foam part , to give the air a smoother edge on the bottom of the firewall, so the air can better flow.
The result was, I had no problems with the oil temps and can close the inlet below the prop what is cooling the bottom of the engine.
With my last setup, I can start, with closed cowling flap and have no problems with oil temps. In cruise,
I fly with 3600rpm at 150mph (1600 engine).
For this, I had also asked the Limbach company and they said, the inlet to outlet should have 1 : 1.5 to 1 : 2 .
In my new setup (finished in 1-2 mounth), I opened the outlet more, to come near 1:2
For my setup, I will take some pictures in my gallerie.
regards
Juergen

Back