• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Looking for a economical xc machine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratdog

Im a very experienced pilot looking for a minimalist xc machine to travel once a month between utah and Michigan. Im looking at the s2 stretch im 6 ft 2 and 180 lbs . Is this a reasonable idea . Its seems like you can buy complete flying examples for anywhere between 10k and 20k . What are the pitfalls of buying a flying airplane or 90% completed project. There is an onex on barnstormers for 19k looks 90% complete . The sonex is generally more expensive for the same performance as the s 2 . Whats the disadvantage of the s 2 if im mostly solo .

Salt Lake City to Kalamazoo is over 1,300 miles by air. And, some pretty tough country to boot. I'm sure an S2 in good shape could make the trip with a little planning. But, once a month? Ouch, my aching backside!.

If you're really gonna do it with an "economical" EAB, I'd look at something like a LongEZ with a solid O-320, GPS and autopilot.

Last edited:
Doesnt the longeze have an aisle and a lavatory ? I hear what your saying but over rough country if i had and engine failure i would prefer a tail dragger .

Maybe a good used RV-4 then? If you're solo, you can pack a fair amount of baggage in the back seat. Invest in some super-duper multi-density foam seats, you're gonna need 'em! ;-)

Oh well i forgot to say it has to cost under 10000$ lol . A moped in the sky . I come from a sailplane background so im used to being in small cockpits for 6 + hours . I guess one question are they uncomfortable in turbulence

Last edited:
hello,
Challenging monthly trip I must say... Yes an RV will be the best choice for a long trip like this. But if price is an issue, indeed Sonerai is a good compromise. Cheaper than the Sonex and RV's for sure.
I think I may have something for you... send me an email [email protected]

Get hold of the Sonerai news letters - there's a ton of XC stories - typically north to south SnF jaunts with great insight. Biggest issue after fuel range is noise - get a good headset, then altitude and vibration- tune and balance the engine. You can make the Sonerai very capable in capable hands. Look what the New Zealanders have done with theirs .

Back