• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lubrication 101...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a bit of spare time today, so I decided to read this article in its entirety. It certainly changed my opinion as it pertains to which type and viscosity's of motor oil's to use and why. It is a rather well written article that makes a lot of sense!!!

I am brand new to this site and to anything about airborne Volks-Power. So just out of curiosity, what oil pressures are you all running with which brand, type and viscosity of motor oil? Based on the article mentioned above, has anyone been running any 0W-30 or even 0W-20 synthetic oils at all? Thy gear head in me is just curious about all that. Any input would be appreciated, or perhaps a link to a previous discussion about that subject from years past would do too.
Thank to you all, Konrad

I would doubt anyone is running 0-20 0-30 oil in these engines! And if your running 100LL synthetic and 100LL don't get along. I run 10-30 or 10-40 Valvoline and see about 35 psi at 3300 with 200 degree oil temp.

Well thank you Sir!

So I'll take it synthetic only goes with Premium Unleaded Car gas, and one should always use mineral oil with 100LL? I do vaguely remember the Mobil AV-1 disaster from many years ago. I think Mobil-1 'bought' a lot of trashed engines back then, but I don't recall what the actual problem with synthetic oil was when using 100LL? But then Aeroshell and ExxonElite are both "SEMI" synthetics, but I guess that is where it stops with synthetics? Is anyone running any of these Aero Oils in VW's? Or does the VW not like their thicker viscosities (15W50 & 20W50)?

I read in the referenced article that one should strive for ~10psi per 1000rpm, so you are right on with your 35psi @ 3300rpm.

Cheers, Konrad

It is my understanding the oil passages in VW engines are not large enough to handle the standard airplane oils. Stick with automotive oil.

Back