• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Made the impossible turn today....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopndrag

Did a couple run ups and decided everything was good to go. Got my airspeed up and had a nice take off. About 200 feet or so up was a pow... sounded like maybe a valve stuck and let loose a pushrod. Ended up having to make the decision to turn back to the airport and land. I was able to 3 point it between the runway and taxi way. I guess it's on to having the valves done. Been having issues with #3 but I thought we fixed it. Someone take the gremlins off my plane I just want to fly.

Definitely a valve problem. The valve stuck a couple times before and popped the pushrod. Sounded the same as when that happened. Looking into new heads anyway

I had issues with my heads coming loose after 5 hours flying, always the left rear one if sitting in the plane, cooling isn’t the issue just cheap heads. Plane is sitting in my hangar haven’t flown it in a year. Bought an Rv 6

Heads pulling into head bolts and leaking resulted in almost no ROC after takeoff. Really important to check that you actually have full takeoff RPM at the end of the runway, even if the plane creeps some.
The permanent fix was to install the Jabiru 3300 which is a 6 cyl engine. 127 hp at 3300 rpm. Easy to remember, Should you have a valve stick o head leak, there are still 5 cylinders to fly a normal circuit on. FWIW I found that while ROC at 70 mph is amazing, head cooling is not. Far better for the engine to climb out at 80mph. Notice that the vertical fin is taller etc as is the rudder. With the longer engine compartment you'll need more directional stability and control.
Bill E

I had issues with my heads coming loose after 5 hours flying, always the left rear one if sitting in the plane, cooling isn’t the issue just cheap heads. Plane is sitting in my hangar haven’t flown it in a year. Bought an Rv 6
[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• 20191023_172103.jpg
    20191023_172103.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
It was definitely a valve sticking and popping the pushrod. Had it happen a couple times after decarbonizing the heads. Just going to order new heads and be done with it m

If a valve is sticking, why not remove the valve, check its condition, check the valve to guide clearance, fix what is wrong and use the existing head?

Heads have wallowing out in the plugs even with heli coils in them. Getting new heads puts everything at a good start. They weren't really in good condition

Ahhh. OK. Makes sense then. As for new heads, I just replaced mine on my 2275 a few months ago. Developed a crack between the seats. Anyway, I wound up buying stock heads and machining them myself because they were going to be about a month to get them. I also always disassemble the heads to check the quality of the valve job, fit of the valves, etc. On this last batch everything checked out but I have had VW heads that had problems. Just something to be aware of.

Did a couple run ups and decided everything was good to go. Got my airspeed up and had a nice take off. About 200 feet or so up was a pow... sounded like maybe a valve stuck and let loose a pushrod. Ended up having to make the decision to turn back to the airport and land. I was able to 3 point it between the runway and taxi way. I guess it's on to having the valves done. Been having issues with #3 but I thought we fixed it. Someone take the gremlins off my plane I just want to fly.

Once the engine coughed, what ROC did you have and what was the OAT? Or did it just quit on you and you dead sticked it?

I didn't plan on taking off just had the airspeed alive and a gust to pop it off the ground. There was no time to check roc and all that at 200ft and woods in front of me. Did find out a helicoil blew out so new heads it is to get a fresh start. I could weld and tap it but a new set of heads is a good piece of mind to have since there are helicoil in all cylinders. Great plains is a 4 day turn around for heads and cheap compared to a rebuild.

Dropping that nose even while pointed at the woods definitely was the right reaction to avert the stall spin at minimum altitude. I imagine that base to final was very close with flare about the same time you got it pointed in the right direction. Getting new heads another sound decision. Glad you made it.

Back