• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

magnet ring riveting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyguyeddy

in the oct-nov-dec 89 issue of the newsletter there is a section about loose magnets in the magnet ring. i do not know for sure if they are referencing the monnett units or the hapi/gpas/whatever stuff. i saw a mantion of using two pop rivets to hold the magnet ring into the steel flywheel thing, and staking the magnets in place. steve bennet would probably know what im talking about but alas he is no longer with us.

has anyone done this, or heard of such a thing? i would like to take whatever precautions i can to prevent my difficult-to-find magnet ring from coming loose. any thoughts on this? i have searched for pictures of this but im sure there are no such things out there anymore.

I did it to the magnet ring on the Electro-X on my original Monnett 1850. I just tried to make sure the rivets were evenly spaced around the ring so as not upset the balance (I don’t remember if I used 2 or 3 rivets). If I remember correctly (it was a long time ago), I used 1/8” stainless Cherry N rivets, and the rivets went between the magnets.

Back