• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Magneto 500hr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyw

2nd and current "Caretaker" N994SP
Supporting Member
Just got the call from Aircraft Magneto Service today. 4SP's magneto 500hr IRAN is complete and the magneto is getting shipped back to me as of today. I spoke with the gentleman who apparently did the work. He told me that with the installation on the VWs, its necessary to periodically lubricate the fly-weights on the impulse coupling, because they aren't mounted "inside the engine" like on regular aircraft engines.

I understand that that the accessory drive on the VW conversions are not lubricated. But, I never thought of specifically lub'ing the magneto fly weights. Its such a pain to get to, it makes me wonder what others are doing.

Is anyone periodically lubricating their magneto fly-weights? If so, how often, what lube are you using and how are you doing it?

Good questions for the gentleman who told you to lube them. I just had my mag off for annual, inspected mag and couplers for wear, reinstalled and retimed, no lub'ing. Please keep us posted.

In my 34+ years of flying behind VW engines, I’ve never lubricated the impulse coupling on any of my engines. That’s not to say that it isn’t a good idea. When I was getting ready to run the O-290G on my Wag-a-Bond for the first time, I had the LH mag (with the impulse coupling) hang up when I was pulling it thru. I took it to an A&P friend of mine who was very knowledgeable about mags, and all he did was remove the impulse coupling, lube it up, and put it back on. It hasn’t missed a lock since.

Back