• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Magneto Box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chucker

Supporting Member
I made a magneto box from a stainless steel mixing bowl. The bowl is cut in half so that I can get to the magneto without pulling the engine. The two halves are joined with a 1/8" silicone seal and held together by three springs. Any concerns?

Attachments

• 2019-08-03 16.16.37.jpg
    2019-08-03 16.16.37.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
  • 2019-08-03 14.59.07.jpg
    2019-08-03 14.59.07.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 98
  • 2019-08-03 15.05.31.jpg
    2019-08-03 15.05.31.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
Well John, I would be concerned when your wife looks for her mixing bowl. Nice installation, one could also flange one side and screw them together.

....had to run out to Walmart before she noticed the transgression. They have them in their aviation materials and housewares department for just over $5.

I couldn't afford flanging either side because I needed all of the depth. I want to make sure there is plenty of room between the bottom of the bowl and the p-leads to avoid chafing. The way the seal fits actually buys me an extra 3/8" of depth.

Woking with the stainless bowl convinced me that a complete stainless firewall would be a nightmare to build. Perhaps they make softer grades of stainless....but this stuff was a bear to cut and drill.

Very novel and looks great!
Only concern is fire protection...would the bowl fall off if exposed to engine fire heat/flames.
I had a new stainless firewall cut for 685L using a water jet cutter at a local business. Went through many drill bits making the holes!

Thanks Matt,

In theory, any damage to the seal from fire will cause the two halves to come closer together....it is somewhat self-healing in that respect. The location of the theee springs prevents it from sliding off.

How big are your cooling magneto tubes?

I am running a Bendix dual magneto so I will probably need two blast tubes. I'm just trying to get an ballpark idea of just how much air I need to feed the beast.

ATB,
Chucker

I have two one-inch tubes pointed at my Slick. No idea whether that's optimal but I've already had to rebuild the mag once after experimenting with a different cooling arrangement and I prefer to err on the more-than-enough-air side.

Ed

Back