• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Magneto Shielding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschrom

Hi Gang,

Can someone tell me the right way to shield magneto wires? I'm trying to eliminate radio static and I know the mag is the problem because the static disappears when I shut it off.

Thx,
Ed

Hi Ed:
I did that a couple years ago. Use 20AWG shielded wire. Connect the center wire to the mag p-lead connection and one terminal of the mag switch. Connect the shield wire to the other terminal of the mag switch and the ground terminal on the mag. I found some good shielded wire fabrication instructions online.

Thanks, Fred. Just to be clear...

Right now the cockpit switch is connected to the p-lead on one terminal and airframe ground on the other, and the shield at that end is also connected to ground. You're saying connect the shield directly to the switch terminal and use no other ground connection in the cockpit? I believe my wire is 18AWG - is that close enough?

Thx,
Ed

Old thread....but I am new to Slick Magnetos.

I have a Slick 4216. There is a round cover (size of a quarter) on the top of magneto held on by a short screw. Is this the proper ground contact location? There is also a distributor block mounting screw right next to the P-lead. Is that a better place for the ground wire?

Since I mentioned the small cover, is that simply a breather port so that the magneto can vent air while climbing and descending?

ATB,
Chucker

Last edited:
Hi Fred,

I do not have an unused threaded hole anywhere near my P-Lead. I do, however, have a screw that holds the distributor block housing to the main housing. That is likely the hole of which you speak. I removed the screw and it looks as though it will be a fine location for shield grounding....and p-lead grounding via the mag switch and back through the shield wire.

Thanks!
Chucker

Chucker, Here is a pic of my 4216 showing a ground next to the p lead. John

Attachments

• 20200201_200520_resized.jpg
    20200201_200520_resized.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
Okay! It's confirmed. I do not have that feature on my magneto. My serial number is 3010005. Yours must have been a later version.

Thanks for the photo, John. I'll just use the case screw for a ground.

ATB,
Chucker

Attachments

• 2020-02-01 18.22.05.jpg
    2020-02-01 18.22.05.jpg
    869.9 KB · Views: 46
Back