• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

mechanical fuel pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am have to fit a V W mechanical fuel pump, in the origin V W position (on the top of the crankcase ) and have the distributor drive shaft to drive the pump rod. but i want to blank off the distributor hole on top of the crankcase How to keep the distributor shaft in the correct position without the distributor.
Thank you.

Maybe it's me but I'm not sure I completely understand. Are you saying you want to drive the fuel pump off the distributor shaft instead of off the cam lobe?

I guess I don't follow why you wouldn't just allow it to drive as designed. Maybe I'm missing something here. I'll likely feel stupid when I figure this out but can you explain it?

Try any of the crank triggered ignition manufacturers. CB Performance has one. They should have a distributor plug that mates with the distributor drive and allows the fuel pump to work. I'd give them a call.

You may find that a dust cover is all that is necessary. The pressure from the fuel pump shaft should keep the distributor drive shaft in place. I believe that the casing is the only rotational bearing provided. The distributor does not help with that load because the mating surface is slotted perpendicular to the rotational axis...it cannot help keep the driveshaft on center. Only the engine casing bore can take that load. The axial thrust is taken by the spacers under the distributor driveshaft shoulder. They are under a load because the fuel pump is constantly pushing down on the driveshaft.

Clear as mud?

Short answer: Any dust cover should do...but I would talk to CB Performance. I am sure that they have looked at this issue.

Chucker

Hello .
To lostmaniac
Thank you for your reply .I did not understand how the fuel pump could work till I found a distributor shaft in a box of bits from my 1600cc engine with the cam arrangement cast in it .
To Chucker.
Thank you for your reply also. it is very helpful , I have looked up CB Performance and others nearer home and got the idea now
All the best.
Steve.

Back