• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Mid-wing vs. low wing visibility on landing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyingfool

Wondering how blind on landing the mid wing is compared to the low wing.

I live on a narrow (22’ wide) 2,000 foot runway. There is a wider grass runway alongside.

the mid wing seems like it would be very hard to see for landing in the rear seat. Especially if passenger in front seat. But looks can sometimes be deceiving.

I am considering buying and want to know if I should rule out the mid wing due to my home
Field limitations.

So nobody has an opinion on this?

Another question. Is there any aerodynamic advantage to the mid-wing? So many of the racing planes and the aerobatic hot rods and the 80’s all were mid-wings. That would seem like there was some advantages to mid-wing construction.

Yes there is aerodynamic advantage to the mid-wing, intersection of wing drag and thrust line is almost centered= more speed. More neutral in roll so better aerodynamically for maneuverability.

I have a low wing (S-2L). But, I suspect the sight picture isn't going to be much different from a mid wing. As soon as you round out, you're not going to see the runway in front of you. And, you're not going to see your wheel pants. All you can see is the runway/ground off to either side, forward of the wing.

You get used to it pretty quick. The biggest trick is to find exactly the right speed, and right height above ground so that you're in ground effect and can bleed off airspeed till it quits flying. Even so, in calm winds its really hard to get a perfect 3 point landing without a little bit of a bounce. As long as you're pointed straight when you touch, you might notice the little bounces. But, no one else seems to.

Back