• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

MOFOCO vw engine services

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shocktrooper

I am considering some engine upgrades for my GP 2074cc, specifically stainless steel valves and perhaps new piston rings, and honed cylinders. Has anyone out there in WI and or in the Sonerai community ever used MOFOCO for parts, services, etc? Their website has a shop tour that looked pretty impressive. They not only specialize in 'street VW' engines, but the fellow also noted that they build VWs for other 'purpose-built' applications...and stated; "aviation" as well.
So does anyone out there have any previous experience with MOFOCO VW engine shop?

I have used MOFOCO, but it was almost 40 years ago. I used to live about 30 minutes away and back in the days before online ordering and next day delivery I would go to MOFOCO for parts for my cars. Back then I had Beetles, Baja bugs, a 412 and even a bus. Can't say how they are now but back then they were great and treated my snot-nosed teenage self well. They cut the heads and case for my Baja back then, which was an 1835cc and I never had troubles with that engine. Not a real tough job, but that is the only machine work I can remember having them do.

The O40A dual plug "AVIATION" heads are quite good. Second Generation Mofoco bedside manners are not so good. I regret I can no longer recommend them as I did in the past your mileage may vary. No fear of talking airplane with them but expect your machine services to take longer than you like more important than they agree too on a regular basis. While Scott Casler's lead time on full engines is quite long he can fit in mods to your parts in a reasonable time 3-5 weeks. If you are shipping heads & case out I would give Scott Casler a call at Hummel engines. He can fit new guides, seats and valves for you and provide any machining service you need. Friendly straight forward service. That said if it is not broken consider the ripple affect of going for an extra 106CC or 204CC. At the speeds Sonerai run the engines the difference is not that great. If it is time to rebuild a heads/case go for it. If you have 500 hours to fly before it is needed I would enjoy the 2074 as is and avoid the downtime/expense.

Has anyone tracked reliability or failure rates of the various conversions and shops?: Mofoco, Aerovee, Great Plains, Hummel, etc.

Sonex used to use mofoco heads but they seemingly had a lot of spark plug hole failures and switched to cb it seems

When I switched my stock AeroConversion heads to MoFoCo 51cc heads I saw a huge performance increase even with the smaller valves. 3250rpm to 3450rpm and my cylinder temps went from 390 at cruise to under 350. Best engine mod I made. Only downside is the bottom plugs are harder to get to.

Sonex used to use mofoco heads but they seemingly had a lot of spark plug hole failures and switched to cb it seems
I experienced the spark plug hole issues as well. The solution was Time Serts. I will install those in any future new heads before flying Mofoco or otherwise

Matt

Mofoco has a very bad reputation on all fronts. Mark Langford of KR fame tried a set recently and they were complete shcite.
I have noted with admiration and respect Jeff, that YOU have been in the 'Sonerai game' far longer than me, and have experimented, pioneered, tested and proved, many prior unknowns about these machines! It's guys like YOU here on this forum, that we lesser 'test pilots' should pay-heed to. But then...as noted in Mr. daddo2's response above in this new thread, he states that; MOFOCO product and service was; "Best engine mod I made." I am however, a bit taken aback here, by such a diversely opposite comparison of experience. I have in the past used Scott Casler's service for my electric start system upgrade and was more than impressed with his product, service and QC. I hope this thread receives a bit more scrutiny and response from our fellow forum members for further comparison, before it falls silent for good. Much thanks to all responders so far and keep plz. 'em coming!

This year, I installed the same electric start and alternator on my mostly GP 1835 that shocktrooper did - based on his and Fred's recommendation. My experience with Scott and the quality of the parts I got was really first rate. If I were be shopping for new heads or machine work, I'd go there first.

I have noted with admiration and respect Jeff, that YOU have been in the 'Sonerai game' far longer than me, and have experimented, pioneered, tested and proved, many prior unknowns about these machines! It's guys like YOU here on this forum, that we lesser 'test pilots' should pay-heed to. But then...as noted in Mr. daddo2's response above in this new thread, he states that; MOFOCO product and service was; "Best engine mod I made." I am however, a bit taken aback here, by such a diversely opposite comparison of experience. I have in the past used Scott Casler's service for my electric start system upgrade and was more than impressed with his product, service and QC. I hope this thread receives a bit more scrutiny and response from our fellow forum members for further comparison, before it falls silent for good. Much thanks to all responders so far and keep plz. 'em coming!

Thanks for the kind words! Do a little searching about MOFOCO heads on the web. I looked at them very closely for many years but never could find a good review.

Thanks for the kind words! Do a little searching about MOFOCO heads on the web. I looked at them very closely for many years but never could find a good review.
This was my experience with MoFoCo heads. Both my AeroConversion heads developed cracks between the valves. In order to install such large valves very little material is left between. My buddy had the same problem with his big valve GP engine as well. I installed the MoFoCo heads because I assumed with smaller valves they would be less prone to cracking. I really didn’t expect a performance increase, but going from a 55cc combustion chamber to a 51cc chamber increased my compression ratio. Also, those heads were well cleaned of any flashing material between the cooling fins which equaled better cooling. It would be interesting to know if the current owner of 610BS is still using the same setup.

This was my experience with MoFoCo heads. Both my AeroConversion heads developed cracks between the valves. In order to install such large valves very little material is left between. My buddy had the same problem with his big valve GP engine as well. I installed the MoFoCo heads because I assumed with smaller valves they would be less prone to cracking. I really didn’t expect a performance increase, but going from a 55cc combustion chamber to a 51cc chamber increased my compression ratio. Also, those heads were well cleaned of any flashing material between the cooling fins which equaled better cooling. It would be interesting to know if the current owner of 610BS is still using the same setup.
I spent 1 hour with hack saw blades and files to remove any residual flash on my 040A Mofoco dual plug heads. I fly a heavier "slower" 1200lbs airplane 95mph heads hover around 260f and warmest head stabilizes around 370 on climb out. This aspect I like in the MOFOCO heads. I lowered the compression to 7.6:1 turns 3300 for take off.

The O40A dual plug "AVIATION" heads are quite good. Second Generation Mofoco bedside manners are not so good. I regret I can no longer recommend them as I did in the past your mileage may vary. No fear of talking airplane with them but expect your machine services to take longer than you like more important than they agree too on a regular basis. While Scott Casler's lead time on full engines is quite long he can fit in mods to your parts in a reasonable time 3-5 weeks. If you are shipping heads & case out I would give Scott Casler a call at Hummel engines. He can fit new guides, seats and valves for you and provide any machining service you need. Friendly straight forward service. That said if it is not broken consider the ripple affect of going for an extra 106CC or 204CC. At the speeds Sonerai run the engines the difference is not that great. If it is time to rebuild a heads/case go for it. If you have 500 hours to fly before it is needed I would enjoy the 2074 as is and avoid the downtime/expense.
After following this thread a bit, I should further clarify (the main reason) I am looking to "upgrade" my heads to SS valves, etc. Last year I was seriously considering selling my S2 due to the PIC seat arrangement and geometry caused my lower back injury to hurt something fierce when flying for any extended length of time. Also...I don't actually fly often enough to keep the darn rust from forming on the valves and seats, thereby causing compression loss and hard, and/or no-start episodes when I DID find the time time and 'gumption' to drive to the airfield and 'fly it'. Now I find out the fold feature in the wings/fuse was (apparently) removed when (someone) did the L bracket S-mod to the wings. The plane was built in 1982 and has the 9 rib A-wing. Using a flashlight and mirror, the mod looks a bit (to me) sloppy, from a former professional A&P perspective. So...with the final decision now made (to keep my bird) I have many things still left to address and improve upon, to get it where (I) think and know it should be...according to my training and 30+years experience as an aviation mech. I will admit that this is my first aircraft ownership experience, and prior to this S2 and a few 'yearly condition inspections' on experimental ABs at the varied FBOs (mostly commercial/corp. Turbine) I have worked for...this one has been quite an eye-opener for me and has had more than a few unpleasant revelations (far beyond the standard pre-buy insp.) when I REALLY got down to looking into her guts with professional scrutiny and a very bright flashlight and a clean mirror. It is what it is...I was excited ...trusting/assuming... and truly paid too-much for this plane as it was. We live & learn. She has come a long way as some of my gallery pics will attest...but I still have a ways' to go, to make it; ALL THE BIRD IT CAN BE. So...the 'laundry-list' as follows (today...LOL!) is : SS valves or new heads...A better and more low back friendly seat...a full castering tail wheel with rudder pedal mounted toe brakes...A WING FOLDING MECHANISM!.. and quite possibly, a complete do-over or clean-up job of the L-bracket wing mod...not happy or looking forward to THAT-ONE at all! Actually kinda-pissed at what I see and at the ('hack') that 'performed' it. Of course there is no entry to be found in the "new" log books that came with this plane.
"Oh yeah...the guy that had it before me said they got burned up in a house fire years ago...so I had start all over with these new books."
I should have walked away right then. I could clearly see she was gonna be a bit of a 'fixer-upper'...but ****! Oh well...we live and learn.
She's still a 'good-bird' and I will make her even better.
Thanks guys! I will listen to any and all advice, and tales of woe or success as we move forward together as Sonerai pilots & owners.
"I am in-it to win-it!"

Attachments

• JJs 1st flt Nov. 2018.jpg
    JJs 1st flt Nov. 2018.jpg
    913.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 982AV at new hangar 8:25:2020.jpg
    982AV at new hangar 8:25:2020.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • 982AV rh.jpg
    982AV rh.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • new cockpit1.jpg
    new cockpit1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
After following this thread a bit, I should further clarify (the main reason) I am looking to "upgrade" my heads to SS valves, etc. Last year I was seriously considering selling my S2 due to the PIC seat arrangement and geometry caused my lower back injury to hurt something fierce when flying for any extended length of time. Also...I don't actually fly often enough to keep the darn rust from forming on the valves and seats, thereby causing compression loss and hard, and/or no-start episodes when I DID find the time time and 'gumption' to drive to the airfield and 'fly it'. Now I find out the fold feature in the wings/fuse was (apparently) removed when (someone) did the L bracket S-mod to the wings. The plane was built in 1982 and has the 9 rib A-wing. Using a flashlight and mirror, the mod looks a bit (to me) sloppy, from a former professional A&P perspective. So...with the final decision now made (to keep my bird) I have many things still left to address and improve upon, to get it where (I) think and know it should be...according to my training and 30+years experience as an aviation mech. I will admit that this is my first aircraft ownership experience, and prior to this S2 and a few 'yearly condition inspections' on experimental ABs at the varied FBOs (mostly commercial/corp. Turbine) I have worked for...this one has been quite an eye-opener for me and has had more than a few unpleasant revelations (far beyond the standard pre-buy insp.) when I REALLY got down to looking into her guts with professional scrutiny and a very bright flashlight and a clean mirror. It is what it is...I was excited ...trusting/assuming... and truly paid too-much for this plane as it was. We live & learn. She has come a long way as some of my gallery pics will attest...but I still have a ways' to go, to make it; ALL THE BIRD IT CAN BE. So...the 'laundry-list' as follows (today...LOL!) is : SS valves or new heads...A better and more low back friendly seat...a full castering tail wheel with rudder pedal mounted toe brakes...A WING FOLDING MECHANISM!.. and quite possibly, a complete do-over or clean-up job of the L-bracket wing mod...not happy or looking forward to THAT-ONE at all! Actually kinda-pissed at what I see and at the ('hack') that 'performed' it. Of course there is no entry to be found in the "new" log books that came with this plane.
"Oh yeah...the guy that had it before me said they got burned up in a house fire years ago...so I had start all over with these new books."
I should have walked away right then. I could clearly see she was gonna be a bit of a 'fixer-upper'...but ****! Oh well...we live and learn.
She's still a 'good-bird' and I will make her even better.
Thanks guys! I will listen to any and all advice, and tales of woe or success as we move forward together as Sonerai pilots & owners.
"I am in-it to win-it!"
It is quite a looker now that you are caring for it. How do you like the AVMAP?
I am a sonerai lurker maybe some day until then I fly my CYGNET SF2A always behind my faster Sonerai friends

It is quite a looker now that you are caring for it. How do you like the AVMAP?
I am a sonerai lurker maybe some day until then I fly my CYGNET SF2A always behind my faster Sonerai friends

The AVMAP Ultra is a pretty basic EFIS but was so compact and loaded with features that I couldn't resist putting it in my 2L. The nav features are based on old VOR technology that is being phased out here in the U.S. but the flight features are really the cat's whiskers! Lots of bang for the buck! This coupled with an older Bendix AV8OR GPS, that I picked up from a friend for $175 and a handshake gives me loads of flight & nav info, confidence and options, for a very affordable price. The AVMAP Ultra has come down in price quite a bit since I bought mine from AC Spruce back in 2017. It was (reasonably) easy to install and calibrate as well. If you don't mind a European/Italy mfg. origin, it is well worth the price if you want an EFIS for personal preference or an added layer of safety and situational awareness. The Garmins are quite a bit more with less features...I'm a blue-collar man and most bang-for-buck is what I always look for. Thank you for the compliment to my bird and the cool videos / comments, etc.

Based on my experience, i would recommend against a full castering tailwheel as I assume you would use spring connection for steering. The simple direct rod tailwheel steering works well and independent braking on mine can slide the tailwheel sideways for tighter turns while taxiing. Ground handling the tail is so light I just pick it up. I tried a spring connection for steering after about 250 hours in mine and that first takeoff and landing were lets say exciting. I went back to the direct rod and things went back to "normal".

Back